7 Users
0 Likes
(@kenllh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi there,

I would like to clarify on this:

----------2h3p2-------------

Does it mean that i press on the 2nd fret with my index, and strum, and then hammer on with my ring finger on the 3rd fret and pluck back on the 2nd fret? When i pluck on the 2nd fret, do i let go of my ring finger on the 3rd fret?

------------------------
------------5-----------
------------4-----------
------------------------
------------------------
------------4-----------

For the tab above, normally how do u play it? Do u use ring on 5th fret, middle on 4th fret, and lastly index on the 1st string 4th fret?

Because whenever i try to change from another chord to this chord, i am having problems using my ring finger to reach the 5th fret as it will not stretch out to the 5th fret. But if i were to play this chord by itself, i would not face this problem as playing by itself seems easier and i have ample time to stretch my middle n ring finger...

i hope u get what i mean....

rdgs,
Kenny

I fell in luv wit my G440C Takamine~ :)

(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

the first is an example of a hammer-on/pull off.

you play second fret. then hammer-on to the third fret then pull off back to the second fret.
to hammer on to a fret you sound the note without actually picking it. in this instance you play the second fret with your index finger then while still holding that note "hammer" your middle finger down onto the third fret. the new note should sound, though it may take a while of practicing until it sounds as loud as the other. to pull off what you do now is to bring that middle finger back off pulling it a bit as your finger leaves the fret. the second fret should now sound again. remember to leave your index finger on the second finger the entirer time.

ReplyQuote
(@mordeth)
Estimable Member

any chance you're learning claptons tears in heaven ?

anyway, the hammer on/pull off part has been explained, as for the second part i'd finger it like this: thumb on the low e, index on the g string and middle on the b string.

This is my signature. Fear it.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Re the hammer-on/pull-off question - you only pick the string ONCE, then hammer on, then pull off in the manner described above.

Re the second question - I'd probably do it with a barre across the 4th fret, and my index finger for the B string at the fifth fret. However, how you play certain chords often depends on which chord you've just played, and where you're going to next; for instance, it could be that the tab you show is part of a D chord shape moved up two frets, or part of a Cmin7th chord played as an Am-shaped barre chord, or even part of a C/B chord shape moved up. Any chance of showing the preceding and following chord? In any case, I'd pluck the sixth string with my thumb, and the third and second with my index and middle fingers - all at the same time.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

If using a barre for example 2 isn't going to work because of what comes next, then use the pinky on the 5th fret, and the ring and index fingers on the 4th fret.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@kenllh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi All,

I have tried doing a little stretching of my left hands fingers b4 i start playing and it helps! ( now i'm slightly able to place ring on 5th fret, middle on 4th fret, and lastly index on the 1st string 4th fret :) )

Oh ya, u r right mordeth, i'm learning Tears In Heaven heh.....

Actually, i saw a couple of videos on U tube and i noticed dat when they play Tears in heaven in rdgs to this ----------2h3p2------------- is dat they do not pluck/pull off at all... as i did not hear any sound or movement at all...

Rgds

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

With pulloffs/hammerons you won't hear/see any movement on the fretboard. He is definitly pulling off in the videos I've seen.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@voidious)
Estimable Member

As someone that also just started playing recently, I can also offer that however you try to do it, don't get discouraged that you can't stretch that far or can't hold the chord solidly enough the first time you try. In just about 3 months for me, there are already plenty of chords I could barely imagine pulling off at first that I can now do with relative ease.

Spanning 2 frets between index and middle finger for a 7/5/7 chord across D/G/B would be the main one, which hurt to even try and seemed so impossible to me at first. But it seems every chord I try is "magically" easier every time I try it if I just keep practising.

Best of luck ;)

-- Voidious

ReplyQuote
(@kenllh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Just keep on practising ya, :)

OK thanks!!

ReplyQuote