Clear all

How do you....

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

...translate that song in your head to that song on your fingers. This is probably a hard question to answer since I'm sure the answer differs based on experience level and everyone has a different approach (and I'm sure it comes more naturally to some).

Reason I ask is I've been playing fairly regularly now for close to 6 months and lately it just seems as though I'm constantly thinking off short little melodies/riffs/licks, etc. in my mind that I think would sound good, well, to me at least anyway (kind of wierd, maybe not, but I especially notice this happens a lot first thing in the morning when I'm just starting to wake-up). Anyway, I'm also just starting to delve a little more into improvising over a drum machine in the background and have been working it in regularly at the end of my practice sessions with at least 20-30 minutes of free-form playing (I usually just pick the upper 3 strings of a particular scale I'm learning and will play different combinations of those notes with the occassional bend, slide, vibrato thrown in for fun). Usually it ends up sounding like a variation of what I've learned elsewhere (but I suppose that's good too at this stage).

I'm waaaaaay to new at guitar to be able to hear something in my head and say "that sounds like an "x" note in the key of "y" played over a "abc" progression, etc" so for a beginner is it just a matter of trial and error.

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I think you pretty much have to grab the guitar and start plucking notes until you hear what you are hearing in your head. I don't think there's any magic way except practice doing that over and over.

You might want to try something similar and that's start with some easy nursery rhyme type stuff and see if you can tab it out for yourself on the fretboard. It'll all help with being able to play what you hear in your head. If you start now you'll be well on your way.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

man, I have this problem very often. in the dream just before I wake up I am playing the most beautiful melody; so simple so easy. when I wake up I want to get it down. I grab my guitar or keyboard, but the first note that I think is right is always not the note and the whole melody goes poof...gone.

there must be a way to capture that stuff. if I could I could build a tower with all the Grammys I would win.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

soooo true dogbite, I just don't know what it is but when I have one of those early morning moments, the music just seems so clear and yet so simple it's scary.

I like you're suggestion cnev, the added bonus is I have 3 very young children who would get a kick out of hearing me play "twinkle, twinkle little star" with a touch of vibrato...

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

If I could somehow get a computer and a guitar in my shower, I'd be rich and famous. My best ideas for how to code something or a song melody come to me while in the shower. I've often dreamt of some sort of computer-to-brain connection, where I could just plug in a USB cable and download my thoughts.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@desinet1)

It is always better to pickup your guitar and let it loose, instead of sitting on your ass and finding a way to covert mental thoughts into physical songs.

I am sorry, if it is too harsh.

Vintage Guitars

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

It is always better to pickup your guitar and let it loose, instead of sitting on your donkey and finding a way to covert mental thoughts into physical songs.

Ummmmm, errrrr, K.

Maybe, just maybe, people have as much difficulty with that concept as you do with eloquence of speech and the subtle nuances (and benefits) of tact. Assume we'd like to hear more about how to do as you suggested, but without the attitude. Thanks!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

It is always better to pickup your guitar and let it loose, instead of sitting on your donkey and finding a way to covert mental thoughts into physical songs.

sarchasm - the gulf between those who get it and those who don't

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

I get that feeling at night, compared to in the morning...

Ahh and this reminds me of one time, literally right before I fell asleep I had a thought...or a vision or a dream of sound. It was probably the most beautiful music I've ever heard. I can't remember what it sounded like, but I'll never forget it. I wish I could remember so I could maybe put it on guitar. I don't know how it came to me, it's not something I would have thought of at the time.

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

I get that feeling at night, compared to in the morning...

Im totally the same. Before i go to bed is when the awesome ideas creep into my head. Shame i share a room with my little bro so i cant just instantly rock out. But i do pick up my guitar and then play through all the chords i know and see which one sounds the most similar to the sound in my head. The i will progress from there, and once i have a nice chord progression that i have just slapped together i will change the chords to notes and play a riff like that with some slides and bends and hammers and pull offs and maybe add some muting in places, wherever the feeling takes me.

David

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member

I can't remember what it sounded like, but I'll never forget it.Haha, that amused me. Whats funnier is, I know the feeling :D

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

I can't remember what it sounded like, but I'll never forget it.Haha, that amused me. Whats funnier is, I know the feeling :D

I think everyone gets that feeling every now and then. Its the fact that you can't remember the awesomeness that was once in your head that makes you remember the moment. How frustrating eh?

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote