How do you do a slide?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@kenllh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi there,

As for this song: Now and Forever by Richard Marx, the intro has a part where you need to do a hammer and a slide.

---------------------------------
0-----1-----1-////-3-----1-----
0------------0-////-------0-----
0-----2-----2-////-4-----2-----
---------------------------------
H Sl

Is it call a slide? When i search on the U tube on slide lessons, it features guitarist using a metal thing on their pinkie to do slides....thats not what i want. :shock:

For the above song. how to you do the slide? I cant seems to make any sound out of it... :oops:

Is there a link on a slide lesson?

Rdgs,
Kenny

I fell in luv wit my G440C Takamine~ :)

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

This kind of slide is just moving your finger(s) to the new note without lifting them off the fretboard. As you slide your fingers from the 2nt to the 4th fret, the note keeps sounding (and will sound the 3rd fret as you pass thru it). same for the slide from the 1st to 3rd fret.

Try it on one string at a time before you get all fancy and do 2 strings at the same time.

So in the tab you posted, you would:
-strum the three open notes,
-then hammer on the 1st and 2nd frets of whatever strings those are (there are only 5 lines in the TAB you posted, so I'm not sure if you are on the 2nd and 4th string, or the 3rd and 5th)
-then strum the 3 notes (1st fret, open, 2nd fret)
-then, while that strum is still sounding, slide your fingers up 2 frets
-then strum that 1st, open, 2nd thing again

At least that's what I would do.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Since you mentioned youtube, I put a video up on it with this slide, just to give you a better idea.

One thing is that you'll need to deaden the G string with your middle finger once you get to the end of the slide.

*sorry if the timing is wrong, I've never heard the song.

Err, I'll update in a sec with the link to the video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wwe8yJKxXl4

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@kenllh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,

Ok, i have got an idea on the slide. I've tired sliding on my guitar, somehow the sound is not as strong as if you were to do a hammer.

The trick is to slide it pressing it hard(as if you could feel the fret passing through your fingers) and sliding it fast and sturdy enough.

I manage to get the sound now.

Thanks a lot!!!

Rgds,
Kenny

I fell in luv wit my G440C Takamine~ :)

ReplyQuote