How do you hold a guitar stable?

31 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,

I started writing out a response to another question here, and halfway through I realised I didn't really know the full answer! :oops: (Nothing new in that you say... :P )

How DO you hold a guitar stable?

I'm particularly thinking of the beginner who finds chord changing difficult. One of the reasons, that rarely seems to be mentioned, is that when you first start to play the left hand often holds the neck in some sort of death grip and, when you let go to do a full chord change, the neck moves. Maybe not a whole lot, but enough to make the next landing that much harder, because the landing ground just shifted position. :?

Guitars and guitarists come in all shapes and sizes. Guitars can be played standing up, sitting down, or even half slumped in a chair.

If you're not wearing strap, what is holding the instrument stable? Straps aren't essential - plenty of players sit and play with no strap. But regardless of whether you always wear straps - or never use them - can you share any tips on keeping the instrument stable please?

My guitar now stays pretty stable, and I seem to have much better overall balance and control over the instrument than I used to. But what happened? What changed? It just seemed to sneak up over the months, and I don't know what I did. :roll:

Anybody have any advice to pass on about how to get 'set' and balanced before you play - with or without a strap- please?

Cheers,

Chris

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

in some sort of death grip and, when you let go to do a full chord change, the neck moves.

I still tend to use the "death grip" method. But I have been trying to conciously not do that. When I am sitting the guitar is usually leaning back against me and even though the strap is on it, I am not using it. But lately, since the forming of Mojo Monday :lol: , I have been mostly standing. When standing my thumb is usually pressed to the back of the neck. Some chords make me change that. It really just depends on what I am doing.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

the death grip is not the way to hold or fret a guitar. relax and things become easier.
it IS a wonder how guitars tend to stay in one's lap. I can get pretty vigorous when I play, but my guitar doesnt fly around.
how does it work?
gravity for one. and that waist on the guitar nestles into my leg when sitting. my right arm, although moving and strumming, does pin the guitar down to the leg. however, the left arm and hand remain flexible, alert, ready to move.
guitars are bigger on the bottom so I think they are balanced just right.

you are having an easier time because you have gotten better at playing and your concentration has become more focused;you no longer have to think about some things , like holding te guitar.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Interesting answers. Thanks. :)

Like many things connected with music, it seems to be part science and part voodoo. :shock:

I've started thinking about this again because I've always played sitting down - without a strap. But I'm about to buy a new playing chair and I've also decided to start using a strap and see how it feels.

I was reading question here about chord changing and I suddenly remembered that when I first started playing it was quite an issue trying to keep it all relaxed and free without losing some of the control over the position of the guitar.

But now it feels fine and 'balanced'. But I'm sure there's room for improvement still, and I'd also like to be able to pass on tips on how to get set to other beginners. But I guess, as Dogbite says, it's mainly because I've got better at playing. Maybe a technical breakdown of what the subtle changes are isn't possible. :?:

Cheers

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

How DO you hold a guitar stable?
Cheers,

Chris
I don't know, I don't keep my guitars in a stable. 8) 8)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I don't know, I don't keep my guitars in a stable. 8) 8)

Geez, you got me there.. :wink:

I saw "Greybeard" on the post and thought "Ah, there'll be a technical explanation coming up here.... perhaps even a bit of geometry and trigonometry to illustrate the angles...."

Instead, I get saddled with a joke like that.... :roll:

No doubt you're you're laughing yourself hoarse... or is that horse... :)

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Most of the weight is through the body on my leg, and there's a slight pressure on my hand from the neck (if I let go completly it'll very slowly tip towards the neck end). That slight pressure is all it needs to keep the neck resting on my fretting hand as I'm fretting, and because it's only a slight pressure it's not tiring. Same thing with a strap, they're balanced about the same but with the weight supported by the strap instead of my lap. I have more trouble with the bottom slipping outwards so the guitar is facing out and up instead of just out, but I've normally got so much junk in my pockets that it acts as a chock :mrgreen:

The only exception is my 12 string acoustic, which is a lot heavier at the neck end. I hate the kind of strap that ties around the headstock though, so I've added a strap button on the heel and I just live with the fact that I can't let go. If I need to use both hands for something I'll just twist the strap around so it's like a backpack or take it off. No biggie :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

The straps I've just put on my acoustics are both tied at the headstock, and it does feel slightly in the way. But on the other hand it does seem to make everything feel especially stable when attached there.

My thumb has always played a fair part in keeping it all balanced, but having the strap seems to allow more options with the amount the thumb contributes.

Looks like I'll have an interesting time trying out different strap lengths and also try attaching it elsewhere. Oh, and chocking up the pockets too of course... :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

One of the best guitar tips I've found yet is the advice to always use a strap, even when seated.

I'm sure as a guitarist gets more advanced and more comfortable, a strap may not be needed to keep the guitar stable, but as a beginner, the strap makes all the difference to me in freeing up my left hand to do what it needs to do instead of "holding" the guitar.

For my acoustic, I hated the tie-on strap, as it would slip off my shoulder. Got a strap pin installed in the heel, and much better.

I also use a small, low footstool when I play. Its position changes with the day, but putting one foot (sometimes both) on it, depending how I'm sitting, helps balance the guitar in my lap.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

For me, it's the 'crook' of the strumming arm, laying against the upper lower bout (or hips) of the guitar that keeps the neck from diving. Even with neck-heavy guitars (or basses) slung on a strap while standing, there's a pressure of the forearm/inside of the elbow pushing downwards, holding the neck up.

ReplyQuote
(@wideawake)
Trusted Member

Not been playing long but i have no problem holding the guitar sitting down it doesn't seem to move, but when i stand up and try to play even with a strap on i find myself disorientated and can't play properly :P

You sing in praise of suicide, we know you're useless, like cops at the scene of the crime.

The sky is a landfill.

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

Sometimes when I play my acoustic in a sitting position for a long time, I start to hunch over it and then I pull it against my chest with my strumming hand which in turn makes my ribs hurt. I THINK I NEED TO RELAX MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

well, it's on my lap, my chest leans on the top, my right arm kinda holds the body in place, and my left hand steadies the neck.

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

For practice purposes I hold the guitar in the classical position.

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

For practice purposes I hold the guitar in the classical position.

I've tried that postion for some tricky classical pieces. It does make some grips easier, but don't you find your back starts to hurt after a short while?

My guitar teacher said you should be careful using this postion to much because it can damage your back.

To hold the guitar in place I use my strumming arm, like DemoEtc. For me, that is the only way to hold the guitar in place :? .

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3