Clear all

How exactly do I learn to play songs?

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@damien-gray)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing since April, and know not one song. My guitar teacher has tried to show me some, but I still don't know them. What's wrong with me?

My guitars:
http://damiengray.ath.cx/guitar/strat_body.jpg
http://damiengray.ath.cx/guitar/strat_and_star.jpg

(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

Try to be more specific. What exactly is the problem?

Can you hit the right notes/chords?
Are you having trouble with strumming patterns?
Do you like the music you're learning?
Are you having trouble remembering the whole song?

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

The first thing I do when I'm learning a new song is listen to the original. By listen, I don't mean put it on as background music and strum along - I mean I really concentrate on the song. I'll have a pen and paper handy - I'll make notes on the intro, the verses, timing, phrasing, chord changes - I'll write the lyrics out in full and make notes as to exactly where the chord changes occur.

Then I'll start trying to work the chords out - I'll do this by finding the root notes, playing a simple bassline to the song. If I'm struggling with it, I'll try and find a tab on the internet.....copy it out into notepad and make changes if needed.

When I've actually got the chords, timing, phrasing sorted out, I'll try strumming along with the record, making notes of any difficult changes - maybe (for example) there's a D to Cadd9 to G in there, so I'll make notes of chord fingerings. I'll break the song down into small sections and work on each section till I've got it down to my satisfaction. Then I'll put the whole thing together - eventually - and play it without the CD and record it, then listen to the playback to see if there are any flaws. There usually are until I've repeated the whole process quite a few times!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Get a chord cycle book...Mel Bay has one. Learn some of them and...lo and behold...you'll see that 99% of songsheets are the very same cycles you've already tucked in your head!

Hope this helps...

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Damien

Sounds to me like you do not quite understand the construction of a song. There are many ways to write a song, but basically most songs follow this sequence:

Intro- This introduces the song. It can be a chord progression, or even a melody riff. Think of the guitar riff that begins Sweet Child O Mine. The intro starts at 0:20 to 0:50 seconds when the 1st verse begins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-AYAv0IoWI

The first verse is from 0:50 to 1:20 when the chorus begins. The chorus is sort of a climax, it is usually played louder and with more expression. It is usually the topic or subject of the song.

So the first chorus is from about 1:20 to 1:33

Now often a song will go from the chorus back to the 2nd verse. In this song there is a short instrumental or solo before the next verse begins. It goes from about 1:33 to 1:52

Now you have the second verse, which is just like the first verse except the lyrics might be a little different. But the music and the chord progression is the same.

At 2:22 the chorus is repeated. The chord progression is the same as the first chorus, and the lyrics are usually the same on a chorus, sometimes there are minor exceptions. In this song the chorus is repeated twice the second time for more emphasis.

Now another instrumental or solo.

At 3:57 begins the Outro that takes you out of the song. On this song it is unusually long, but if you listen you will hear it is sort of anti-climatic at the end.

So, this is not too unusual a form for a song, but most songs will go something like this:

Intro
Verse
Chorus
Verse
Chrous
Instrumental or solo
Verse
Chorus
Outro (often the chorus repeated many times)

So, to learn a song, you have to know the form or construction of the song and learn each part. Then play them in order and viola! You are playing a song. Lots of folks learn the verses and chorus of a song and even a solo, but neglect the intro and outro. You have to know all the parts to successfully play a song from beginning to end. So make sure you can play the Intro and Outro :twisted:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote