Notifications
Clear all

How long did it all take to Click????

39 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

just when you think it clicks you find out otherwise. watch, you'll see. all clicks are temporary.

so right. I have a feeling it is the Muse foolin with us. :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

1 year 5 months 22 days 10 hours and 32 minutes and then....bam! It clicked

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

It just clicked for me! Oh .. wait ... that was my shoulder. :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Once in a while my jaw clicks, too. My knees can really crack it out!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

This may sound ridiculous, but guitar clicked for me right away. After one month I could play a few dozen songs. And I really don't play a whole lot better now than I did then.

That means that after 35 years I still sound like I've been playing one month. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Wes, that is one long beautiful groove man.

I will never forget the first time I held my electric guitar.

an interesting 'click' I have experienced recently is when my open string lap slide playing
connected to my stand up Fender playing. I had a Rosetta moment with the fret board.
harmonic scales in standard tuning for one. intervals clicked.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@cheechwizard)

Yeah, I'm an old guy who is trying to learn to play. I was seriously thinking about giving it up last week because it just seemed too hard. It's like "I've been practicing all this time and I'm no better than I was two months ago."

But for some reason, just the other day it got "easier." Stuff I just couldn't get before suddenly started to make sense.
I still suck at chord changes, but not half as bad as I did just last week.
Strange how that works.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

That would be one of those small clicks mentioned above CheechWizard. Keep it up and there will be many many more! :D

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Long answer.....I've been playing on and off for about 30 years or so now and it still hasn't all come together!

You have to accept that there will be times when you've got a guitar in hand and you get to a part of your music and you go "wha?"

If those days ever stop, then you're already pushing up daisies.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

I had a good time playing just now because it really clicked. And I mean almost everything came off and my fingers were stepping in time instead of clumsily fumbling about! Really did sound good with a pretty new pedal set up.

However, this is a 1 out of every 50/60/70 times I pick up and play guitar type of feeling. I can tell when it happens because I start to react to what I'm playing (stand on tip toes/facial expressions) even though no-ones watching :)

This said, clearly it still hasn't properly clicked. However, I do feel I have reached a nice little plateau, whereby I regard myself as a competent (completely amateur) guitarist.

How long have I been playing? Over 3 years.

3 years might seem like a long time for someone to proclaim they've just passed being a beginner, but I realised pretty early on I wasn't gifted, so it's nice to see some results for my hard work and time committed to it. 2 months really isn't that much in the grand scheme of things, but if you're aim is just to be able to hack out a few chords and sing along to enjoy some time with friends (no problem with that) you might feel you've "clicked" after say a year. If you come across a bad day, doesn't mean you're a bad player, just stick with it.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

After playing for about two years now, I have gotten so much better at playing, but the thing is I haven't had everything just click all of the sudden. After lots of practice, I get one or two things down at a time for example: learning hammer ons and pulloffs took me a while to get them to sound good and use the right technique. I think if everything just clicked all of the sudden and I could play anything on guitar, I wouldn't play that much because part of the fun of playing guitar for me is always learning new stuff and I (sometimes) enjoy the challenge of a crazy solo or riff.

In short, I don't think everything can just click all at once. It takes years and years to master the guitar and even then, there is always new things to learn no matter how good you are.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Ask the real musicians (D Hodge, Noteboat, Kingpatzer, Fretsource to name but a few) on this site if it's "all clicked together" and they'll probably tell you, "I'm still learning - there's always something new to learn!"

Amen! (Amen, Amen, Amen)

I tell my students that sometimes music that seems scary turns out to be really easy, and sometimes music that looks like it will be a snap challenges you to the limit.

I just got done practicing. The next-to-last piece I worked on was a reading study I'd never tried before. It was short - only 32 measures. Nothing shorter than an eighth note. Key of F, so only one accidental to keep track of. I figured I'd just fly through it and go on to other stuff.

I dived right in. And messed it up in the first measure. I discovered this thing wasn't nearly as simple as it looked - ties where you don't expect them, short rests falling on beats, no two rhythmic figures along.

I went slower. I made it about halfway through.

I started counting out loud as I played. Got 3/4 of the way there.

I went slower and slower. I practiced individual measures. Then single lines. I was finally able to play the whole thing in time - after 35 minutes!

Once I got done with that, the last piece I did was a tune out of the Real Book. And after struggling through the piece before it, sightreading bebop - which is usually challenging - seemed like a piece of cake.

A big part of what's kept me intrigued with the guitar for so many years is that it's the simplest instrument to play, and at the same time, it's the most difficult. I'm always a beginner in some aspects - even though I've been teaching it for about 30 years now.

I'll let you know when it all clicks. I'm a long way from getting there!

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

And I still can't get the intro from "Under The Bridge" down pat.......

:( :( :(

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

And I still can't get the intro from "Under The Bridge" down pat.......

:( :( :(

Vic

neither can I.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

This is where we should point out that John Frusciante quit playing guitar for 5 years and came back and sold more than 10 million albums.

You two are more than helpful, thanks!

Oh, thank YOU for pointing that out!

OK, see y'all in Feb 2013...........

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3