Notifications
Clear all

How long to become good?

41 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

My question is more about what the guitarist should consider in terms of skill, not what it takes to suceed.
And my answr is "consder whatever it is you want to consider, you have no one to answer to except yourself."

Who cares what anyone else thinks?!

For myself, the answer to the question of "am I good enough" is always two part. Yes, absolutely, I'm as good as I can be today because I've been working as hard as I can work up to this point. and No, no way, because there are always things I can do more proficiently, more creatively, more musically.

And in my mind, the first part is necessary to keep our sanity and perspective and the second is what it means to be a musician.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Great posts by Alan and NoteBoat.

I agree with Alan, I also have been playing 33 years now, but I don't think of myself as good either. I practice everyday to play just a little better. I know I will never be satisfied with my playing. But that is also what I love about guitar, it never ceases to be a challange, and there is always room to learn and improve.

To answer OneWingedAngel, I read an interesting article once about a lady who had studied Classical piano from childhood. She was very skilled but did not believe she was good enough to perform in front of people. Then one day she saw another young lady playing piano at a hotel. She really enjoyed the performance. Then she realized that the young lady was playing very simple music. She could play this well very easily. Then she realized it was a matter of self-confidence. While she had far greater talent and ability than this young player, the young player believed in herself and she did not. She also realized you do not have to be super-skilled to play good music and be entertaining. After that, this lady had the confidence to perform in front of others.

I guess everybody has different goals. I have always wanted just to play good solid guitar and sing well. Sure, I would like to be able to play like Steve Vai, who wouldn't? But at the same time, I am happy with how I play. I don't try to copy others, and I don't measure my ability by comparison to others. If I can make the sounds I hear in my head and they sound good, I am satisfied. I really don't enjoy complicated music to begin with. I like music with a great groove and beat that makes you want to sing and dance. So that is what I aim for in my personal music. I don't need to be a master-shredder, that music has never done much for me.

Go out there and play what you play well. Don't worry what others think. No matter what you do in life, some people will like it, and some won't. 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

It all depends on what your personal definition of "good" is.
imo it's always going to be a fluid reality depending on what that definition means to you.
I will always try to be better than i was yesterday reguardless of others opinions or personal success.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

This guy is doing okay.... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh5VA0YXPhM&search=roland%20dyens

ReplyQuote
(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member

Both hands are doing cool stuff, I don't know which one to look at :)

ReplyQuote
(@poonchasta)
Eminent Member

Makes me think I chose the wrong kind of guitar.

"Is there something in the guitar case?"
"Yeah."
"What?"
"My guitar."

ReplyQuote
(@snaggletooth)

lol!

Makes me think I chose the wrong hands/brain/co-ordination etc..... :wink:

Your bones will build my palaces, your eyes will stud my crown.
For I am Mars, the god of war, and I will cut you down.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I've came across a few that have never played guitar or another instrument, after showing them a few chords and finger exercises. I was amazed how such a natural and quickly they were playing like they'd been playing for years. It comes down to the individual person themselves.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I recently read that it should take 6 months to a year to master Mel Bays Guitar Method Grade 1 book. Which got me thinking. It might take a few years till i am average at a guitar. I was wondering how long it took you guys to become good. I need some inspiration.

Short answer: I played my first note 40 years ago. I'll let ya know as soon as I find out.

Long answer: Guitar has been a lifelong passion for me, and after 40 years there's still new things to learn. People seem to enjoy the music I make, and tell me I'm a good guitarist. I'm happy they like the music I make, but I'm too aware of what I don't know and haven't learned to play to regard myself more than "better than average" at best.

One day I probably will be pretty good, but the journey there is the really fun part for me.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@tahitiijack)
Eminent Member

I met one of my guitar heros a couple of years ago, smooth jazz guitarist Richard Smith. During our conversation I mentioned that I was taking lessons from a friend of his and told him I felt like I had a lot to learn. He replied "We are all still learning." When I started out I was told its not the number of years, its the number of hours you play that will determine how long it will take to become "good". If you play an hour a day it will take longer than if you play 3 hours a day. With the exceptions of natural talent, its always about time.

Happy Sunsets!

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

To some extent that's true.

But it's also a lot to do with what you do with that time.

If you spend it really focused on learning something and mastering it so it can be used later you'll progress a lot faster than if you spend it noodling around and never master anything.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3