Skip to content
How old were you wh...

Notifications
Clear all

How old were you when you started playing guitar?

77 Posts
71 Users
0 Likes
13.1 K Views
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

33 for abut 2 months. We moved after that and guitar was in storage for about 2 years. Brought it out of storage and picked it back up this past april then put it away for two months while we finished building a house. So now its 35 and I'm practicing almost daily!

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

48, started about a month ago.

KC (Jim-Bone)

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

First time, I was around 12. I was a hack pretty much. Knew every cool lick on the "We Sold Our Souls for Rock and Roll" album though. I started again when I was 33, which was over a year ago.

By the way NEZTOK that's a funny avatar! You aren't from Boston are you? I'm from Mass. and I think all of this is a riot!

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Have played since I was 12 - 20 years ago. Started to make some progress 2 years ago :wink:

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

41 and I am currently 43 {or 21 with 22 years of life experiences :lol: }

I concider myself a mid life crises guitarist ...
8)

Still can't play though :oops:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

15/16 - I bought my first guitar and stopped getting my hair cut as I left school :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
 RWB
(@rwb)
Eminent Member

48 and happy I didn't wait till I was 68! Been playing for 1 year now. Wow that went fast!

ReplyQuote
 Dani
(@dani)

32. Been 'playing' for 8 months.

I find it very encouraging to know that there are beginners older than me ;-)

ReplyQuote
 Jay1
(@jay1)
Trusted Member

28 about a year ago and progress has been slow. Starting to knuckle down now though and am determined to improve.

It's really suprised me how many late starters there are on here. I thought maybe i'd left it a little late at 28, just goes to show you it never is to late at all.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

about six years ago at the young age of 45

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@doc-gliss)
Eminent Member

I started when I was fourteen back in 1973*, but didn't really try to grow that much as a guitarist until about fifteen years ago. I was doing a little bit of this and a little bit of that, getting burned out and not really excelling at any of it. Then one day my wife reminded me that one cannot serve two - or five or six - masters. So in my early thirties I let go of some things that didn't mean as much to me and it breathed new life into my guitar playing.

*A couple of years ago I found an old photo of my cousin and me when we were about two and three years old respectively. We were sitting together on a footstool called on Ottoman. I was "playing" a toy guitar and he was looking at it like "What the heck is that racket?" I still get that look from time to time. :roll:

If the dude woke up this mornin', he's playin'.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I began in 1965. I was fourteen.
have not put it down since.
I'd like to quit my day job so I could have more time to play.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

Seems like a common theme...

Started when I was about 13...played for a couple of years...put it down because life took a different turn...picked it back up again at 43.....seems like I am a much better student now then I was then......no regrets.

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member

Well, I'm not saying exactly since it was a little more than month ago :wink: but it really is encouraging to see that there are others starting in their 30s and 40s. A year and a half ago, dear hubby bought me a mandolin, knowing I had always wanted to play. I figured I was way too old to start, but there it was so I may as well try. I've loved every second of it and learned so much in that short time so this year he decided I wasn't too old to take up a second instrument so home came the guitar. I'm loving that, too. I also regret waiting so long and wonder how much better I could be if I had started sooner, but in reality there was no time in my life before this that I could have devoted the time and energy to it. I may never be great, but I can be better and better. I just want to make music.

Melisa

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 6