Clear all

How to start playing

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@cfencl)
Topic starter  

Hi,
I have been teaching myself guitar on an acoustic epiphone for the past couple months. But I don't feel like I'm getting any better and my finger strength has gotten any better at all. Can anyone help me? Does anyone know any good tips, videos, books or anything that may help me?
Thank you,
cfencl

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

a) get a teacher

b) Guitarnoise for lessons, tutorials, etc.

c) Guitarnoise forum for advice and help.

d) Youtube (e.g. Justin Sandercoe)

Oh, and Guitarnoise........

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hi,
I have been teaching myself guitar on an acoustic epiphone for the past couple months. But I don't feel like I'm getting any better

If you can do something now that you couldn't do two months ago, you're getting better

... and my finger strength has gotten any better at all.

Finger strength takes time to build. The more you play the quicker it develops, but you've only been playing a couple of months so don't sweat it yet.
Does anyone know any good tips, videos, books or anything that may help me?

Check out the free lessons on this very site. They're written by people who play and want you to play better, not by people who want you to buy their dvd so that they can make money.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

Hi cfencl

Try recording yourself playing now and then listen back to it in a months time, you may think you haven't progressed but in fact, on listening to yourself, you may find you have made improvements.

Definitely check out the lessons here, they are good.

Hope this helps in some way.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

find someone to play with. two guitars are better than one.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

If you didn't have any experience, probably a teacher is the best option. The teacher can fix some initial problems that are very easy to solve at the beginning.

The lessons in the main site are very good. Try to explore the Songs for Beginners section and also the lessons. YouTube has many, many great lessons (and many, many bad ones).

If you prefer books, David Hodge has a couple of great books for beginners. Check them out. There are reviews in the main site.

And stick around the forums.

Welcome to GN.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Here's the thing. Keep at it! Everyone progresses at different rates. The important thing is that you keep working at it and have fun doing it. Try learning a song that you like. Try to make it an easy one so that you are not setting your sights too high and you can achieve your goal. If you are not ready for that, try some different exercises. That will help you with your finger strength and should help you navigate that guitar a bit easier over time.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote