How to strum with thumb and fingers?

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@kenllh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi Guys,

When learning a song with finger picking and strumming, how to i actually strum without a pick?

Do u use the flesh of the thumb or the nail of the thumb? When doing upward strokes, do u use the fingernails or...?

Say if i have a strumming pattern dw,dw,up,up,dw,up how do i exactly come about without using pick?

Any advise with pics, or sites with videos would be very much appreciated. I'm a noob, so i might be very confused if the explanations are complexing....

Rgds,
Kenny

I fell in luv wit my G440C Takamine~ :)

(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

I use my thumb for both downstrokes and upstrokes, and I use the fleshy part of the thumb to strike the strings.

When you first start to do this, it feels weird and it doesn't seem like it will work; I remember that very clearly from my own early strumming days!

Downstrum is just a sweep over the strings with the thumb from top (E) to bottom (e) - almost like you are playng an arpeggio but in a fast way, without picking out each string, instead just sweeping over them.

Upstrums are slightly different, in that you are not strumming your thumb down the string, but using your wrist to pull your thumb up the strings - this feels even weirder than the downstrum to begin with!

Most important thing is to keep your wrist LOOSE. You are not anchoring your wrist and moving your thumb - you are moving your WHOLE lower arm to make the strumming motions.

I'm sure everyone will have a slightly different way of actually doing these actions (and others will probably have better explanations too!), you just have to keep at it and find the way that feels right to you.

As for using nails, thats a taste option - some people like the sound of nails on strings, for others it's like nails on chalkboard. If you DO use your nails, don't strum too hard (or be prepared to break your nails a lot!).

Hope that all helps - in essence its the same as strumming with a pick, it just takes time to get the movements of the thumb/wrist down.

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@hyunjae)
Trusted Member

Like Reincarnate said, some people use the nails to strum... like me :P

I can't say I'm good, or even moderate... but I found it very comfertrouble and it's very convienent to learn to do
if you say... drop you pick or something.

You would hold you fingers loosely like you're holding an imaginary pick and downstroke with your index nail, and
upstroke with your thumb nail - it's very simple! :o

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

When I strum with my nails, I use an open hand. Down strums are struck with three nails (index, middle, ring), and upstrokes with the thumb. A little playing around with it and you can get the dynamics the same for up & down strums.

The advantage is I can easily put in rasgueado, soundboard tapping, etc. The disadvantage (on steel strings) is if you're off a bit, you shred the cuticles at the base of your nails.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I think everyone is going to be a bit different on this. It depends on what works best for you and what you're trying to accomplish.

Like NoteBoat, I also do downstrums with three fingernails (index, ring and middle fingers), but I do upstrums with two (the ring and middle fingers), for some reason, the nail on my index finger grows a little funny and I tend to catch a string and sound it louder than the others when I use it for upstrums, so I don't use it for that. I only use my thumb for picking the bottom two strings (E & A). I have absolutely no good, absolutely definable reason for doing it that way, other than the fact that it works best for me!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@kenllh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi there,

By using the fleshy part of the thumb to strike the string, doesnt the sound gets way too mellow n dull? In my mind, i can picture using thumb of flesh to strike the string downwards, but what about upwards? doesnt the thumb nail hits the string and create an even brighter sound than when doing downstrokes?

I tired a while ago by doing an imaginary pick by using index and thumb, wat happens is dat i use index nail (the outer part) to strike down, and thumb nail (the outer part) to strike up, it works.. :)

thanks...

I fell in luv wit my G440C Takamine~ :)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi there,

By using the fleshy part of the thumb to strike the string, doesnt the sound gets way too mellow n dull?

It can, but it doesn't have to. :? One of the features of playing with your fingers is the huge range of possibilities. This is both an advantage and a disadvantage, while you try and get it all under control. Just washing your hands before you play can change the sound, as can how cold or warm your hands are etc. Mostly the skin on my thumb is tough enough to make the sound I want, but sometimes it's not quite up to the job I want it to do... There are so many ways of using the skin or the nails - different angles, different parts etc that it's probably not possible to describe them all.

I have poor quality nails that break easily so I keep them fairly short on both hands. I simply can't rely on having a nail of the right length and hardness in the same spot all the time to be able to use them as long as I'd like. This limits some of my options, but I can still use either the balls of the fingers or part of the nail, depending on what's happening. As Elecktrablue says:

I think everyone is going to be a bit different on this. It depends on what works best for you and what you're trying to accomplish.

You just have to make the best use of what you have... and then spend the rest of your life trying to perfect the techniques to get the best sounds out of it all. When I began, it sounded like I was strumming with a marshmallow, or a banana or something, but it sounds way better now. All the way up to 'half cooked sausage' probably :roll:

We talk about the callus on our fretting fingers, but in my experience parts of my right hand have also now firmed up to do the job I'm asking of them.
:)

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

well said all you guys.....its about finding out what suits you...there really is no hard and fast rule...trial and error is the order of the day.....try something new each day.....something will stick eventually!

enjoy the fun of discovery.........everything begins to make sense with time and practice...same as life really 8)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@poppaduck)
Eminent Member

In my mind, i can picture using thumb of flesh to strike the string downwards, but what about upwards? doesnt the thumb nail hits the string and create an even brighter sound than when doing downstrokes?

For the upstroke I tend to use the fleshy part of my index finger. This way the sound is of a similar tone to the downstroke.

But I second, third, fourth what everyone else has said - we all have a different style based on what works for us.

ReplyQuote