Clear all

I can't tune my guitar!

22 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@henrik)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

As the topic suggests, I just can't tune my guitar. I know how to do it, hold on the 5th fret and play the string under, etc. I know that your supposed to hum the tune so you can compare them and when I think the guitar is perfectly in tune I try playing some simple chords and it just sounds wrong...

I have just played for a two months and I do have a teacher so my guitar is still regurlarly tuned but it's just so frustrating. Does someone have a tip for a tuning idiot like me?

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Buy a tuner.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

I had the same problem. Then I bought an electronic tuner, and I am a tuning genius now. okay, that's a little overboard, but I can keep it tuned now.

Music is the universal language.

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

try fifth and seventh fret harmonics.

but...buy a tuner

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Yup ... get a tuner

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

your ears will get better with time...but....get a tuner 8)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

As the topic suggests, I just can't tune my guitar. I know how to do it, hold on the 5th fret and play the string under, etc. I know that your supposed to hum the tune so you can compare them and when I think the guitar is perfectly in tune I try playing some simple chords and it just sounds wrong...

When you tune using the above method, are you realizing that on the G string, you use the 4th fret and not the 5th?

Just a thought...

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Definitely get a tuner. Once you've gotten the guitar in tune, then you can hear the way each string is supposed to sound when it's in tune and that will help you tune using harmonics. If that first string is not tuned correctly using harmonic tuning, each of the following strings will be out of tune as well. Tuners only run $15-$25. Korg's good. Pick one up at any music store.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@henrik)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

When you tune using the above method, are you realizing that on the G string, you use the 4th fret and not the 5th?

Yes I knew about that.

I suppose I'll get a tuner then. It's to frustrating to not be able to play becasue of an out of tune guitar, thanks for the advice, is there any tuner with a metronome in it to like a 2 in 1?

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Korg makes one. The TM-40 ....

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@henrik)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks a lot Elecktrablue, but when I think about it I don't think my local music store sells stuff like that, but it's always worth checking up anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@the_jinj)
Eminent Member

Thanks a lot Elecktrablue, but when I think about it I don't think my local music store sells stuff like that, but it's always worth checking up anyway.

Surely any music shop worth it's salt will sell tuners? Ebay have them cheap if not :)....or use your PC!!

ReplyQuote
(@henrik)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I was referring to that 2 in 1 tuner metronme thingy, I'm certain that they've got a tuner.

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

What they all said - get a tuner.

There's one with a metronome on Musician's Friend but the reviews aren't so hot.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-TU80-Guitar-Tuner-Metronome?sku=213014

I have a MF branded one that cost me about $10, and it's fine. You might just get a metronome separately.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Friend-DT220-GuitarBassViolin-Tuner?sku=210070

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Friend-CT440-Chromatic-Tuner?sku=210071

ReplyQuote
(@henrik)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yes, I might just do so, get a seperate metronome but is it really that important with a metronome or can it wait?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2