Skip to content
I got my guitar, no...

Notifications
Clear all

I got my guitar, now i need some serious help!

24 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@dcdtoons)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi, I just got a fender squire sarter pack. I also got a book, that teaches you how to play. but i have a problem, i look at the book and the fingerings and understand that, but what do i do with my fingers on the bottom, u know where i hold the pick? i don't understand at all. If anyone would like to see the book page, email me at [email protected]

I really understood just how into weights I was when someone asked me what day it was and I said Leg Day.

(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Not quite sure what you mean, are you asking how to hold the pick?

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
 bohh
(@bohh)
Trusted Member

I think your asking about which strings to play. If I'm rightm fear not it really is pretty easy.

You should have a chord diagram that looks something like this:

C Major

X 3 2 0 1 0
| | | | 1 |
------------
| | 2 | | |
-------------
| 3 | | | |

Now if you look at the top of that diagram, you'll see "X,3, 2, 0, 1, 0" Basically those numbers tell your picking hand what to strum. The "X" means that that string isn't played, and the 0's mean that the string is played wiht out any frets presses (known as "open") and the other numbers just tell you that the string is being played at a certain fret.

In other words you would strum all the strings that have a number and avoid hitting the strings with an X.

Hope this is of some help.

Mike

Guitarjourney.net - Everything I've learned and want to learn, including chord diagrams and other information.

ReplyQuote
(@dcdtoons)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

this is what i mean, the diagram has a picture of a hand, fingering the cords on the top of the guitar. But, i don't know what to do down where use the pick. I tried just not pressing anything uptop, trying to make a E. I have a scanner if you would like to see what i am talking about

I really understood just how into weights I was when someone asked me what day it was and I said Leg Day.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

bohh's right, but if you can post a picture it would help. Also have a look at some of the 'absolute beginner' lessons on this site.

Random advice:
Press down just besiade the fret, not on it.

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Well I'm throughly confused now. Assuming you're right handed, what hand are you talking about?

ReplyQuote
(@dcdtoons)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I cannot post the picture on the site. It is to big so please just let me email you it if you would like to see it
][/img]

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

I cannot post the picture on the site. It is to big so please just let me email you it if you would like to see it
][/img]

Try converting the file from .bmp to .jpg format

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Email me the picture at :
[email protected]
and I will post it here and give a reply.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

this sounds like a job for IRFANVIEW!!! :lol:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@dcdtoons)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok, i kinda understand what was going on. Now a new question, when strum my E, and try to go to a F, i have this weird noise that i don't really want to come out. It is not very clear and it is hard to play the same note in like quarter notes its so much harder than playing a woodwin!!!!!!!!!! grrr.. i have squire so if thats a problem tell me

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

How are you playing the F? That is which fingers are on which frets?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@dcdtoons)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i guess the F would be fist fret, fist finger and then i strum all the notes with my pick. My question at the begining of the topic was if i need to strum all the string with my pick or just some strings. I know understand

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

You can't make an E chord by not pressing anything on the fret board.

You can make the E note by plucking either the first or sixth string, while not pressing

You might want the squier 'set-up' by a guitar shop. Part of your problem might also be soft, fingers. They will harden up with regular practice and sound better..

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
 bohh
(@bohh)
Trusted Member

Are you playing melody in some starter songs? If so you should only be playing one string when you play the F or E or whatever.

When you start getting farther along you'll want to strum more strings to form a chord.

Guitarjourney.net - Everything I've learned and want to learn, including chord diagrams and other information.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2