Skip to content
I got my guitar, no...

Notifications
Clear all

I got my guitar, now i need some serious help!

24 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@number6)
Estimable Member

i guess the F would be fist fret, fist finger and then i strum all the notes with my pick. My question at the begining of the topic was if i need to strum all the string with my pick or just some strings. I know understand

Holding down the first fret on the first string is NOT a F chord. You only want to pick the one string that you are fretting in this case. To play a beginner's F chord, you would hold down the first frets on the high E and B strings, the second fret on the G string, and the third fret on the D string. If the book isn't telling you to do this yet, then don't worry about it.

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Here is what he is talking about.
It is suppose to be single notes not chords.
You only want to play the string you are fretting by itself.Not all the strings.

ReplyQuote
(@dcdtoons)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

so the only thing i am doing is keying one string? which one???

I really understood just how into weights I was when someone asked me what day it was and I said Leg Day.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

In this case the thinest one. There is an individual note at each fret.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@number6)
Estimable Member

so the only thing i am doing is keying one string? which one???

Go over to your guitar, hold it up and look at it. There are six strings on the guitar, from thickest to thinnest going left to right. Look at the diagram in the book. There are six lines in the diagram each representing the strings. The line on the far left of the diagram represents the string on the far left of the neck. The line on the far right of the diagram represents the string on the far right of the neck. All the other lines represent the strings in-between. The thick line at the top of the diagram represents the nut (the top of the neck) and each line below it represents one of the frets (the metal bars going across the neck). The diagrams on the scaned page are telling you to hold down a specific fret on a specific string which is clearly marked in the diagram. The other strings don't tell you to play them since there are no circles on any of the frets (and there aren't any above the strings which would mean you would play them without holding them down).

I hope this helps.

EDIT: Oh, and it's called "fretting" a string, not keying it. The metal bars on the neck are called frets, and the piece of wood they're embedded in is called the fretboard.

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Also note, in the picture where his finger is in regards to the fret. Keep you finger as close to the fret as you can get it without being on top of it.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

follow this link and live carefree for a lot of time -

http://guitar.about.com/od/freebeginnerlessons/

And tell how did you feel after browsing them 8)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

One other thing,
The bottom half of the page give you those 3 notes in standard notation.
First in whole notes, then half notes and lastly quarter notes.
Using a metronome (get one if you don't have one or use a free online metronome) whole notes will be held for 4 ticks of the metronome, half notes for 2 ticks and quarter notes are played one per tick.
Pay attention to where these 3 notes appear on the musical staff (comitt this to memory)
If this book is similar to other beginner books I have seen you will be given a simple song to play using these 3 notes (the song will be in standard notation so use the memory of where these notes are as mentioned)

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i'm not sure but i think what you are doing or trying to do is to play notes, but you think you're playing chords. if you don't have any finger on the fret and you just pluck or pick the top string that is the E string so you're playing an E note not and E chord. the thinnest string and the heaviest string and both E strings. if you put your finger on the first fret of either of those two strings, and pick the note then you are playing the F note not the F chord. notes and chords are two different things but chords are made up of individual notes.

as far as what you do with your right hand you can pick with the pick or you can strum with the pick.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2