Skip to content
I have the money to...

Notifications
Clear all

I have the money to buy a guitar now...but what to do?

54 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well yea, I'm 16 years old now and I'm not really sure what kind of guitar to play. I feel as if, with the money range I'm looking at, a guitar starter pack would be a good place to start. I have never played guitar once in my life before, but I'm interested in learning. A Squier starter pack seems like a reasonable start for me. But I've heard mixed reviews. Some say Squier's are awful, but for a beginner like me, does it really matter? The fact is, I'd be learning how to play with that guitar and all the 'noob' things that come along with it.

But at the same time, if I do decide to buy a starter pack should I buy a fat strat squier or a standard one? Do they sound the same? I know the fat strat has more flexibility since you have more room to work with, but does it have that beautiful sound the standard strat does?

Thanks, more questions may come along the line. Thanks again :)

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

First, Squiers are very nice guitars (I own 3 of them), you get a lot of guitar and surprisingly great quality for the very affordable price.

Get the Squier starter kit. Squier makes good guitars. You may have to have it set up to play really well, this is not unusual with any new guitar.

If you like Rock music with distortions, go with the Fat Strat. The Standard Strat has all single-coil pickups. These produce very bright clean tones. The Fat Strat has a humbucker pickup at the bridge. This will get a darker fuller tone. This sounds best with distortions (heavy). Also, a humbucker will not make noise at big volumes, that's why they call it a "hum-bucker". :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@decieved)
Trusted Member

i would definately suggest that you get a starter pack (probably a squier one). those are perfect for any beginner, and have everything you need (guitar, amp, picks, accesories, and a book or dvd)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

if you've got a couple hundred i would suggest the Squier 51
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-51-Electric-Guitar?sku=519636

and any of a number of practice amps like the Roland cube 15 that's on sale.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-15-1x8-15W-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=480022

of course strings, cords a strap, etc will cost a few extra dollars but for around $200 you really can start off with pretty nice gear nowdays.

btw Welcome to GN! :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

Go for the Squier starter pack. I know that to you which one to get seems like a very important decision but for now just get the one that you like better for whatever reason. As you get better at guitar you find out more about how you play and what you like in terms of the sound you want, and you're able to refine your choices more.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Go for the Squier starter pack. I know that to you which one to get seems like a very important decision but for now just get the one that you like better for whatever reason. As you get better at guitar you find out more about how you play and what you like in terms of the sound you want, and you're able to refine your choices more.

I totally agree with this.

I started with the strat starter pack about 2 years ago. Within a year you'll start to relate more to the different characteristics of the different brands and maybe get to know yourelf better as to what direction you want to go next.

The journey is fun to travel and the guitars you acquire along the way are the most fun, too. :wink:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys.

As for my sound, (like many guitar players), I love the sound of David Gilmour and Jimi Hendrix. They both play completely different, but my long, long, longterm aim would be to combine the both of them into my own sound (and no, I'm not looking that far ahead, I take one step at a time, I'm just pointing out that's my long term goal :P ).

Wes Inman- I guess distortion is something I'd be aiming for as well, since both of my guitar idols used a lot of it.

TwistedLefty- Yea, I heard a lot of good things about the Squier '51. I know a solid amount about guitars (despite never playing one), but I really don't know if it's the sound I want. Would you say it's similar to the other Squiers/strats?

pearlthekat+bish- Exactly what I'm hoping for.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i'd like to be a combination of joni mitchell and john frusciante!

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Welcome to GN, Kevin.

Everyone is already giving you some great advice, but I just wanted to make a +1 on what Wes said about the value of getting a set-up done. It can make a world of difference in the guitar's playability, which can have a huge effect on how much you enjoy playing and whether you stick with it through the early frustrations.

You might be able to bargain the cost of the set-up into the purchase price (try to bargain a package deal including a strap, picks, etc), but even if you have to pay $50 extra for the set-up it'll be worth the investment.

Have fun shopping and let us know what you come home with. GN is a great place to help you get started.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

margaret- Thanks. And yea, frustration is something I'm worried about. I usually am good at sticking to things when I have a long term goal along with short term goals, but I'm extremely worried about the guitar since it's such a complicated thing.

So, in other words, you think I should probably buy whatever guitar I get (probably a starter package), but bargain with the store to get them to set it up for me?

Also, this is probably a stupid question, but do you think buying online is a bad idea because of the risk of the guitar/amp getting damaged on it's way onto my house?

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

margaret- Thanks. And yea, frustration is something I'm worried about. I usually am good at sticking to things when I have a long term goal along with short term goals, but I'm extremely worried about the guitar since it's such a complicated thing.

So, in other words, you think I should probably buy whatever guitar I get (probably a starter package), but bargain with the store to get them to set it up for me?

Also, this is probably a stupid question, but do you think buying online is a bad idea because of the risk of the guitar/amp getting damaged on it's way onto my house?

That's not a stupid question at all, and there are many of us here who have bought guitars online.

However, this being your first guitar, I think it's important that you go to a store and hold and play (at least strum) the guitars in which you are interested. If you know someone who already plays, take them along and have them try the guitars out, too. There are probably sales people who can demonstrate the guitars for you, as well. There are even individual differences in guitars of the same make and model.

But most important is how it feels to you. Don't be afraid to ask for a chair and sit down and take your time. Send the salesperson away so you don't feel rushed or pressured. Guitar stores are used to customers spending hours and hours playing their guitars, even if they end up not buying one, or not buying it that day anyway. You could even ask for a set of headphones if you are uncomfortable having others in the store hear you play.

As a note on the bargaining, you may not have as much luck bargaining extras into the package when you're dealing with a starter pack, but you may be able to get them at least throw in a strap and picks. (Starter packs may already include a strap and picks.) When you bargain on higher-end equipment, you're more likely to get them to throw in the set-up. But it's always worth a try. If you don't even ask, you definitely won't get anything extra.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@hanzo)
Trusted Member

I'd say go with a Fat Strat Squier Pack and don't get too caught up with all the obsessing over the buying process. Right now all your energy should really be learning and developing an effective practice habit. I see a lot of ppl with super nice rigs that can't play for squat and also ppl with $100 guitars that absolutely rule. Once you have played a bit and know how to make a little music then you can start looking for a guitar that matches your sound because then you'll actually have a clue what your sound will be.

When I first started I wanted to be in an indie/punk band and make great noise like some of my favorite bands. What happened? I played blues and it was like the greatest thing ever! I hardly even ever listened to a blues record before but by playing guitar it opened up this whole other world to me. Now I'm still not very good but I know what my sound is and I can tailor my buying to suit it. You just never know until you are into it for a bit.

To summarize: Just get a decent, cheap guitar, any of them, and start playing. With the emphasis on playing.

The rest kinda develops as you go. And above all else just have fun. If you are having a really tough time with something you are trying to learn just shut the book/dvd/wahtever off for a while and just start messing around with the guitar. Play whatever, pluck random strings, try weird fingerings, etc. Just keep it fun and explore every inch of that guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I also got the Squier starter pack.....Strat, with a Fender 15W Frontman amp....great value for the money! The amp comes with a distortion setting, you can get a nice clean bright tone, and a good full heavy rock tone. My Strat didn't need setting up at all - came with a nice low action, plus ypu've got a removable whammy bar for the Hendrix assaults....

I was looking to upgrade last year, had a pocketful of money and thought about getting a Fender Telecaster....after trying a few in the shop, I tried a Squier Telecaster and bought that instead....it felt better in my hands...

So yeah, I'd recommend Squier guitars AND starter packs.....but you might want to try out the "Squier 51" thread - a lot of good players seem to think highly of them.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

This is just to answer your question about buying online. I have purchased many items online and have never been disappointed yet (including my 3 Squier guitars). You won't be able to get a set-up like this, but you can take it to a local music store for that (make sure they sell a lot of guitars, not just a few as a sideline).

Occasionally people will get a damaged product and send it back. Most have been very happy with Musicians Friend for returns. Just make sure when you receive the item that you unpack it carefully and save all the packing and receipts. Then look the guitar over carefully before you play it. When you do play it, be careful not to scratch it (belt buckle scratching the back of the body for example).

I have never had to send anything back, but if you do not damage the product yourself most online companies are very good at refunding your money or giving you another guitar in exchange.

So, I wouldn't be afraid of ordering online, in fact, I ordered some more items from MF today. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

The great thing about the guitar is that it can be very complicated as you say - but it can also be extremely simple. It's an amazingly versatile instrument, which probably goes a long way to explain its popularity.

You don't need to have played for a long time before you can start having fun. Plug it in, put one finger half way down one one string, pluck it and then bend the string up a little - instant smile! 8) Then you've got the rest of your life to add to your knowledge. Because what you can do, and how you do it, is pretty much inexhaustable.

You can play simple tune with a few notes on a single string. And once you master three or four basic chords you can play a huge number of songs. They may not come out exactly like you heard on the CD (one player can't really match the sound of a whole band and a bank of mixing equipment) but it can be plenty good enough to sing along with, or play along with others.

As long as you put the hours in you be fine. I won't kid you, it does need a lot of hours - some stages only take a few hours, others take months - but it's all good.

As Hanzo says, don't get too freaked out by all the detail, because you really won't have any idea where you'll end up until you do a few miles on the journey.

Only two things to remember:

1. Keep playing no matter what.
2. Keep Guitarnoise bookmarked for friendly help.

Go get that guitar. Good luck. :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4