Skip to content
I have the money to...

Notifications
Clear all

I have the money to buy a guitar now...but what to do?

54 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

picks may be a bit more expensive in your local shop but to start out it's worth it so you can get several different types and weights and see which you prefer. I'd also pop for a longer cord that a 10', you may want to move a bit and 10' can be a bit restrictive

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks again.

As for the cord, I can't. It's not like my house is really that big, lol. Especially my room, and with teh guitar I'll have even less space. My room for example is only about 12 feet by 10 feet so yea...plus add in a desk, bed, there's not too much room >_>

Oh, and do you recommend any beginners guitar books?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Kevin

I think you made excellent choices within your budget. You are starting out with a very nice rig, not just a beginner's. :D

I agree with Tele on the picks. Pick up a variety of different thicknesses when you go to have the guitar set-up. You will like some better than others.

I also agree on getting the wall-hanger or a stand. If you have easy access to your guitar you will play more.

You did real good. Now stay on GuitarNoise and learn some guitar. Start with the Easy Beginner Lessons found on the Home Page. That will get you off to a great start.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thank you sooooo much everyone! :) We (me/parents) ordered everything (except book/picks) from MF.com earlier today. I can't wait to get it in the mail.

Hopefully this topic can be a good reference for some other new people like me (though the '51 might now be on sale at that time :( ).

Oh, and I didn't bother to get a whammy bar since I feel that might be a distraction to me while I learn the basics of guitar. As much as I love the whammy...I gotta stay away for now. :(

ReplyQuote
(@cicontention)
Trusted Member

Thank you sooooo much everyone! :) We (me/parents) ordered everything (except book/picks) from MF.com earlier today. I can't wait to get it in the mail.

Hopefully this topic can be a good reference for some other new people like me (though the '51 might now be on sale at that time :( ).

Oh, and I didn't bother to get a whammy bar since I feel that might be a distraction to me while I learn the basics of guitar. As much as I love the whammy...I gotta stay away for now. :(

hey kevin, i was just wondering where abouts your from?

i'm a few years older then you (19), but i am getting started and am completely new to the guitar thing too, and i actually bought the exact same set-up you did yesterday. my threads a few below yours on the forums. anyways, get ahold of me on AIM or something sometime, it might be fun to track each other's progess, especially since we have the same set-up.

i am thinking about buying an effects pedal too :)

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Kevin,

Don't worry about all of those EFX. They will still be for sale when your ready for them. Sometimes I forget this and just buy buy buy.

Have Fun!

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@the-sammy-brew-band)
Eminent Member

Defently get s starter pacek. I was lucky enough to sang a fender star caster with 15 watt amp for $80. I dont think you ca get good deals like that but heres a few good ones.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_epiphone_sg_special_electric_guitar_players_pack?full_sku=102920451

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_behringer_vtone_ii_electric_guitar_pack?full_sku=519750%2e001

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/Ibanez-IJAE5BK-JamPackjolt-se-Acousticelectric-Guitar-Pack?full_sku=103865994

Also Just look around here thay have plenty of good guitars.You can choose the maker and find the list of items on this page.

http://www.guitarcenter.com

Words be simple, Words be quick, Words resemble walking sticks, Plant them, They will grow, Watch them waver so, I'll always be a word man better than a bird man, I can fly high but I stay in the same sky, For only I Know whats beyond.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

^^^I'm way past that stage, thanks though.

ReplyQuote
(@cicontention)
Trusted Member

kevin, i missed you on aim yesterday. i was in my living room at war with an f major chord. but to answer your question: no it wasn't, but i didn't pay for a set-up. mostly because i'm a cheapskate. :)

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4