Clear all

I just got a guitar...and I know nothing about them

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
 Sin
(@sin)
Topic starter  

I know it sounds kind of weird but yeah...i just kind of decide to get one the other day and got one off of ebay (a cheap one in case I don't like it) I need some advice...I cant read music, I have no real knowledge of music...I just think It would be fun to play the guitar...how should I get started?

(@slowfingers)
Trusted Member

You have come to the right place. There is an endless supply of guitar lessons online to get you started in the right direction. You can teach yourself, but it is tougher than taking lessons for most (especially if you are not at least a little musically inclined). Still, I will give you a few links to check out. There are so many out there, that it is tough to say that one is best. Bu these should help. If you have more specific questions, you can get more specific answers as well.

Here ya go:

http://www.guitar.about.com/library/blguitarlessonarchive.htm

https://www.guitarnoise.com/topics/absolute-beginner/

http://www.cyberfret.com/user-lessons/index.php?catagory=Basics

http://www.playguitarmagazine.com/article/PG4/PG4,5462-Chords101-3.asp

Seagull M6 Gloss

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

I would definetly start here, I can't think of a better page on the net: https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/absolute-beginner-part-1/

that's included in slowfingers links, just singled it out.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

I suggest buying a chord book or looking up the chords on the internet, and learning a few of the basics like C,D,G,E,Em,A,Am..then maybe work on F. That'll get you started and you can find many songs with these chords. Check out Chordie.com you can look up songs and print them out with the fingering you'll need.

Check out the beginners lessons here, very good. If you can find somone to play with that would be a great help.

Learn a few chords, and then look for a teacher would be my best advice, although some say it's possible to learn on your own.

Have fun and best of luck!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I'll agree with SlowFingers you have found the best place to start learning.

Besides having excellent lessons on the Home page you can always come to the forum to read and learn, plus if there is something you don't understand all you have to do is ask. There are many very knowledgeable people here from all walks of life that will give you great advice.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Don't get discouraged as it will seem a bit slow at first, your fingers will get really sore and it won't seem like you can do anything right.
The good news is it will all come together for you and you will be surprised at how fast you progress after you get some of the basics down.
There are good lessons on this site and there are a number of good books and videos out there.
Most people will tell you, myself included, to take some lessons if you can You will progress faster that way.
Get a tuner! it is a must have and can be had for around $20.
Word of caution, the elcheapo ebay guitars may not be of the best quality and may be hard to play even for a seasoned player.Hopefully this is not the case with the one you bought.
Best of luck and if you have any questions don't hessitate to ask.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Hi Sin
I strongly recommend you take your new guitar to a local guitar shop buy a tuner and strings and then ask them if the guitar is properly 'set-up'. Steel string acoustic guitars especially can be a nightmare if the strings are too high from the fretboard.

Best wishes

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
 Sin
(@sin)
Topic starter  

Thank you all for you're input you have been very helpful and I will surely come to you with any of my questions.

ReplyQuote
(@cndpritchard)

Sin,

Was just wondering what kind of guitar it was and what you thought of the quality so far. I myself am in the market for a first guitar and have been scouring the internet, and what few music stores are in my are. Mostly I want to plan an electric, mostly.

ReplyQuote
(@shy_boy)
Eminent Member

As a beginner, I can say that this a great site to start learning. David Hodge does a fantastic job with the Easy Songs for Beginners section. I bounced around a lot at first trying to learn everything and actually got nowhere fast, except aggravated with myself. I finally settled down with this site and “Guitar for Dummies.” For myself, I decided I needed to learn basic chords and how to change between them before trying anything else. Chord progressions seem to be the foundation for a lot of other things in playing guitar. The Dummies book comes with a CD and also explains a lot of really basic things that the other sources either leave out or gloss over. It's working well for me anyway.

Just another opinion, and you know what they say about those……..

Cheers,
George

ReplyQuote