Notifications
Clear all

I just gotta ask you guys....

27 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

I am sure that there is nothing there that you can not get here and at other sites for free. Including jam tracks, chord finders, scale builders.

There are no "secrets" that some guy is going to give you that will make you play like Clapton, Santana, Vai, Petrucci, etc. in 90 days.
You are not going to be able to go from complete beginner to lighting fast solos in 90 days.

It just doesn't happen.

Read the webpage carefully. Its huge and most of it is filler. If you've just started with guitar I guess it might sound like lots of impressive stuff, but believe me it is not. Would you pay someone to tell you what clothes not to wear when playing guitar. (here's a hint - stay away from puffy sleeves and purple tuxedos).

Probably nothing more than open chords, a few exercises, a blues shuffle, pentonic scales (for playing excellent solos over chords), power chords and barre chords. All that is available here. Plus an excellent forum to ask questions of.

Personally I like the picture of the guy with a stethescope around his neck. This site has a medical endorsement. PT Barnum would be proud.

I'd pass on this.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member

Its a good sales pitch, its cheap and you can get your money back.

You'll probably learn something, even if its 'don't believe everything you read'.

Go on, buy it, give it a month and review it on here. If you like it, maybe more will buy it. If you don't, get your money back and maybe save others some cash too.

Everyone's a winner!

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

I guess it's easy to have a 100% success rate when no one buys your crap.

People are always looking for shortcuts to everything, it's human nature to want to get the end result with as little work or little time involved. Maybe for somethings this works (I've yet to see one), but I believe something like guitar playing is not one of those quick fix things. Like many things in life you get out of it only what you put in. Would you expect to work only 17 minutes a day at work and get a 40 hour paycheck?

I don't think that is a valid analogy!
However if could hit my daily targets in just 17 mins, I would expect a full days pay?!
I don't think he is claiming anyone will learn just by playing 17 mins a day but that 17mins of lessons per day will give results if you follow them properly.
I'd expect to get results from a considered course of learning in short burst over a few days rather than a year of picking up bits here and there! I am well aware that 17 mins doesn't seem like much, but then again most people give about 30mins per week in normal guitar lessons don't they, yet no-one claims that doesn't work! If the 1st 17 min lesson set out some basic chords for eg and said now go learn them before tomorrow, how is that BS? And $50 doesn't seem like a massive amount, again about the cost of 1-2 lessons from a guy at a guitar shop. 17 mins per day for 90 days is actually 25ish hours, which pretty much equates to a year of 30 min lessons every Saturday! Again I think most people on here would tell you you could learn guitar to a certain degree going to a teacher for a year and no-one would claim that was BS would they.
I also like Rich's advice :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

However if could hit my daily targets in just 17 mins, I would expect a full days pay?!
That shows the illusion perfectly - no-one is going to offer you a job with an 8-hour day and a schedule that can be completed in 17 minutes - it would be commercial suicide.
I don't think he is claiming anyone will learn just by playing 17 mins a day but that 17mins of lessons per day will give results if you follow them properly.
That's exactly what he's saying:
Give Me 17 Minutes A Day For 90 Days… And I'll Show You Exactly (Step By Step) How To Play Virtually Any Song You've Ever Listened To On The Radio
What I'm saying is if you can simply follow my time tested system for 17 minutes a day, then –
In just 90 days you'll be playing new guitar chords like they're second nature
In just 90 days you'll have developed lightning fast hand speed
In just 90 days you'll have mastered the scales
In just 90 days you'll be hammering out solos by Eric Clapton or Jimi Hendrix
In just 90 days you'll be jamming out notes like the greats

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Here's a real thought.. If you spent that same amount of time doing finger exercise's and studying the songs here on Guitarnoise you'll advance in playing guitar faster than you'll realise. You'll even expand your knowledge of life itself. The best part is it won't cost you anything but your time. Thats not including all the great advice and knowledge you get from the messageboard. All you have to do is ask.

Then if your still feel you need to spend money why not donate it to guitarnoise. Guitar Noise donation:

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

That shows the illusion perfectly - no-one is going to offer you a job with an 8-hour day and a schedule that can be completed in 17 minutes - it would be commercial suicide.
That's exactly what he's saying:
Give Me 17 Minutes A Day For 90 Days… And I'll Show You Exactly (Step By Step) How To Play Virtually Any Song You've Ever Listened To On The Radio
What I'm saying is if you can simply follow my time tested system for 17 minutes a day, then –
In just 90 days you'll be playing new guitar chords like they're second nature
In just 90 days you'll have developed lightning fast hand speed
In just 90 days you'll have mastered the scales
In just 90 days you'll be hammering out solos by Eric Clapton or Jimi Hendrix
In just 90 days you'll be jamming out notes like the greats
picking at my post a little, as I said it equates to 25+ hours of lessons, in small bite sized chunks.
Do you give individual lessons? If so how long and how much, and over what timescale would you expect a beginner to be able to play a song for eg?
And again, yes you can find all the info on the net, esp here but it requires some effort to string it together into a coherant order, hence the number of posts asking for just that! To some people $50 isn't a massive amount to have a cohesive learning strategy esp as you can get a full refund. I can see both sides, I just don't think replies of 'this is bs!' is completely helpful.
Just to be clear, I love this site and find the forums very helpful, and this is not intended as a slight on anyone here, just another viewpoint.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

any system put together for an absolute beginner is helpful due to the structure alone. however the B.S. part is the hype that's included in 99% of these "get good quick" scams (the part that promises that you will be able to play like "X" in an unreal amount of time.)
if you need to guilt yourself into practicing by spending money on some "system" then your motivation is not there to begin with. you could easily research the site here or other sites on the web and put together a tried and true method of teaching yourself.
personally i think that finding a teacher and taking a months worth of lessons would be a better deal.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

The incredible promises are what's wrong with this ad. I don't care if you faithfully practice the 17 minutes each day for 90 days, there is no way you will be able to play virtually any song you hear on the radio.

But is this worth $50?? It probably really is. There are probably many useful and helpful tips that will help you to improve as a guitarist.

Is this better than lessons from a teacher? I doubt it. Less expensive, yes. But a teacher works with you as an individual. If you are using a bad technique, a teacher can spot that and correct it. A teacher can determine your strengths and weaknesses, and determine areas where you need the most work.

Nobody learns to play guitar from lessons. If the only time you play guitar is the half hour per week you go to lessons, you will probably never become a good guitarist. But a person who goes to lessons, and then practices an hour or more per day will become a good guitar player much quicker than someone who practices the same amount of time without instruction.

My 7 year old daughter has been taking piano lessons for about 6 months. She goes once per week for half an hour. I have seen how her teacher has taken her through methodical steps. It is amazing what she is playing now. She reads both the bass and treble staff well. She knows quite a few chords. She reads time well. She knows some pretty fancy techniques as well, like reaching over her right hand with her left to play a very high note on the keyboard. I am amazed at the songs my daughter is playing now.

But we make my daughter practice her weekly lessons at least 20 minutes per day. But she is pretty good at practicing on her own.

Teachers are great. :wink:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

"A sucker is born every minute"

It's not as bad as paying 750 dollars to go to GN camp for a few days. Hell, you can't even get a refund.

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

Hi

I can give you my two cents, since I subscribed his free newsletter. It is quite interesting for a beginner but nothing special, absolutely nothing to compare with David Hodge's wonderful detailed lessons available here or to other lessons availble for free over the net. I post here a few excellent links where you can find a lot more material than what you could handle, absolutely for free

http://www.acousticguitar.com/LevelTwo/Browseallofouronlinelessons-212.asp
http://www.heartwoodguitar.com/WordPressBlog/
http://www.accessrock.com/AdvancedLessons/classicrockstyles.asp
http://guitar.about.com/od/freebeginnerlessons/
http://www.wholenote.com/default.asp?iTarget=http%3A//www.wholenote.com/cgi-bin/page_view.pl%3Fl%3D204
http://playguitarmagazine.com/index.asp
http://www.guitartutoronline.com/common/beg_index.ht m"> http://www.guitartutoronline.com/index.html?url=http://www.guitartutoronline.com/common/beg_index.htm
http://www.fenderplayersclub.com/
http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/barre.html

I printed just a very small part of the material and I understood or learnt even less but I can tell you that thanks to an excellent istructional book in a year or so I arrived to the point that if I listen to a song I can find almost immediately a suitable strumming pattern to apply it but this does not mean that I can play it exactly like the orginal (maybe I have to simplify a bit the chords or the pattern or whatever)

As others said the real trouble is that the claims of Crhis Elmore are absolutely false because nobody could learn to play in 25 hours: I mean you probably need an equivalent time just to learn how to strum a few open chords, not to mention how many hours you need to learn to play in time a few strumming patterns (unless you're one of the few lucky ones who born with rhythm in their blood)! Guitar is about costant repetition of things you have already understood before from a theoretical side. Of course the more you're talented the faster you'll learn but there is not any shortcuts

So my simple advice is get an easy instructional book with cd to get started and then print some excellent lessons from the above mentioned sites and you'll get far more than what you could probably handle

Matteo

ReplyQuote
 P0RR
(@p0rr)
Estimable Member

would you expect to be fluent in a foreign language if you were taught 17 minutes a day for 90 days? no, you'd be better than if you didn't do anything, but you wouldn't be fluent. guitar is no different than any other skill you try to acquire: practice, practice, practice

Here's a quote from Johnny Winter:
"The general attitude is, "I want it, and I want it now!" But it really takes years if you're going to do it right, and a lot of kids just don't want to take the time to work on it and see where it's all going, and what it means, and where it comes from, and how they should apply it and use it in playing their songs. It doesn't make any difference how technically good you are or fast you are or how many notes you know. You just can't do it in two years."

ReplyQuote
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member

I don't like these things pearsonly. i'll only take lessons like that if i've meet the person. i don't don't like it, it smells... fishey. or is that egg. ah can't tell

"I'm as free as a bird now. And this bird you can not change" Free Bird, By: Lynyrd Skynyrd
GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2