I just wanna play a song

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@aziton1)
Topic starter  

hi everyone
guys I am so desperate
I know chords I know how to change fast and I am learning since 40 days and I cant play a single song
I look up for the chords of some song and I play it but it is nothing like the song
how can I play?
I sometimes see the chord (G) and I click on its digram but it is not like the digram I know
how can I know the strumming patterns of a song how to play it?
please I need help cuz if I am not able to play a song like in the next 2 days maybe I'll give up the guitar
P.S. I am trying to play Enrique's (Somebody's me) cuz I love it so much so please help to play it.

(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Finding the strumming pattern for a song is next to impossible. The Easy Beginner's Songs on this site show strumming pattterns for those specific songs. Sometimes you can translate that to another song if they sound similar. If you are not familiar with a song and its timing, it just won't sound like the song when you play it. It takes detective work to find the strumming patterns for songs. Search Youtube for XXXX lesson where XXXX is the song name, of course. It's not always necessary or even desirable to try to match the exact strumming pattern of the original song, but you do want the timing to be right. If others here have other suggestions, I'm all ears too.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Hi aziton1,

Welcome to GN! :)

First of all, I wouldn't put a time deadline on how well you can play & deciding to give up on it; Everyone progresses at different rates. I have been playing different instruments for many years, & I still can't do certain licks, for example. If the chords look different to you, it may be that they are. There can be many variations for the same chord.

I would maybe suggest going "back to basics" & checking out some basic simple chords. Also, can you recognize the different chords by sound? If not, it may make learning a little more difficult at first.

Check out some youtube videos on chords, strumming, and tutorials on the song(s) that you want to play.

Here is a good one on chords.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcmb4RplClQ

It is easy to get frustrated at first, but again, it can take some time to develop certain skills, especially if you are learning without the assistance of a teacher.

Good Luck!

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Hi aziton1, welcome to GN,
I'd never heard the Enrique Iglesias song you're hoping to play, but I found a tab here:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/e/enrique_iglesias/somebodys_me_crd.htm
that seems accurate.
I played along with the video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNrfUZZYDOQ
It sounds nice with simple G, C and D open chords.
But note there's a capo on the 1st fret (which raises everything a semitone higher). If you've tried to play along with the recording (sans capo) and it sounded off, maybe that's why.
As far as the strumming, I wouldn't get too hung up on replicating the guitar part verbatim. It's part of a larger production with many other instruments adding to the mix. For solo guitar, just concentrate on the vocalist and try to augment or reinforce what they're doing.
All the best!
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@aziton1)
Topic starter  

thanks alot guys for the advice and the links
I will try to work out more

ReplyQuote
(@k5koy)
Trusted Member

As I am finding out, also being new to guitar, there is no real correct way to strum any song. If you will search a particular song on youtube, you will not see the same pattern in any 2 examples. You can do it a number of different ways on any song.
I am quickly discovering that all the technique in the world isnt going to help if you dont get the "feel" for a song. Make your own feel for every song you learn, and you will not only become a better player, but you will have fun with it too. Might also try some easier songs too. Try some simple 4 chord songs and just settle into it. Get the basics down first, and as you play it time & time again, you will soon discover that you are playing quite differently than when you began..Just my take on it.

Koy Carson
West Texas

**60th Anniversary American Strat
**Carvin AC175 Thinline Acoustic
**Ibanez EW20ZW Electric/Acoustic
**Arbor AJ145CR Jazz
**Fender Marcus Miller 5 String Bass
**Fender Geddy Lee Signature Bass
**Warwick Corvette 4 string Bass
**Tradition Fretless Bass
**Takamine Hollow body Bass
**Digitech JamMan

http://www.myspace.com/k5koy

The "PickPocket" The ORIGINAL Guitar Accessory
http://www.waxpatterns.com/customguitarpick.htm

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

This is a very common beginner error. I think you're thinking about it incorrectly. The chords and notes are the "fact" part of the song, they have to be played correctly for it to sound right, but strumming patterns are "feel". Play until you can do the chord transitions without thinking, and then just "feel" the strumming pattern, and it'll come to you with practice.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

This is a very common beginner error. I think you're thinking about it incorrectly. The chords and notes are the "fact" part of the song, they have to be played correctly for it to sound right, but strumming patterns are "feel". Play until you can do the chord transitions without thinking, and then just "feel" the strumming pattern, and it'll come to you with practice.

I had an epiphany because of another post I just made...

Tabs and chord sheets that we find on the internet, and even in most published songbooks are nothing more than the "poor man's" fakesheets. What I know of fakesheets is that you have to have a basic knowledge of the song to "fake it". I have to keep that in mind for myself when I find a tab or chord sheet and say "this is crap!". When I'm good enough to hear the nuances in a song, then I can use the fakesheet as a start, not as a "musical score". Gotta pay for those and know how to read standard notation proficiently (I'm too slow at it).

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@bokonon)
Eminent Member

I am pretty new myself. I tend to get caught up in details, and maybe I can't see the trees through the forest here. Are you guys saying hit right chords at about the right time and pretty much groove on the chords however you like? Even with the songs on this site I get very caught up with how many measures of a particular chord I need to play before I switch to the next one. Is it still alright to switch when you feel the time is right? When I sing, I pretty much aim for a word in the song to make my changes, and give up trying to count. So you guys are saying this is a more natural approach? Am I breaking any fundamental rules with this approach?

ReplyQuote
(@k5koy)
Trusted Member

No, I dont think so..My point was this: If you get the groove and it sounds right, it probably is.
I was pokin around in the Easy Songs directory and found one I wanted to learn. It had the strum pattern there, but when I tried it, there was no way you could do it like that and still maintain count. I started strumming by feel, and it all fell together. The pattern I use on that song might not be "right" either, but it sounds like it fits, and thats all that really counts.

Koy Carson
West Texas

**60th Anniversary American Strat
**Carvin AC175 Thinline Acoustic
**Ibanez EW20ZW Electric/Acoustic
**Arbor AJ145CR Jazz
**Fender Marcus Miller 5 String Bass
**Fender Geddy Lee Signature Bass
**Warwick Corvette 4 string Bass
**Tradition Fretless Bass
**Takamine Hollow body Bass
**Digitech JamMan

http://www.myspace.com/k5koy

The "PickPocket" The ORIGINAL Guitar Accessory
http://www.waxpatterns.com/CustomGuitarPick.htm

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

They play it !

Its that simple. You don't have to play the exact strumming patterns as the song you wanna play.

Just start slowly and go along with the rhythm. Nothing's better than being in rhythm of the song. Those strumming patterns will flow automatically, if you can keep in time.

They magic secret to learn strumming is to start slowly.

Good Luck !

ReplyQuote