I know I shouldn't ...

Notifications
Clear all

I know I shouldn't do this!!

27 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

OK...I know you all are going to yell at me for doing this but lately I have been slacking on my practice...I still play my guitar everyday but I am not doing the drills I am supposed to be doing...and I know I SHOULD BE!

Ever since I got the Guitar Port from Boogieman all I have been doing is fooling with different songs based on the tones in the Guitar Port. For instance I can do anywhere from 4-6 measures from the following songs:

Star Spangled Banner (Hendrix)
Cat Scratch Fever (Nugent)
Someday Lady You'll Accompany Me (Bob Seger)
Silent Lucidity (Queensryche)
Love Me Tender (Elvis)
Satisfaction (Rolling Stones)

And I just started the following today...

Keeper of the Stars (Tracy Byrd)
Night Moves (Bob Seger) (I need to get a capo for this)

Now I know I am falling into a bad habit of doing this but it is SOOOOOO much fun hearing my guitar actually sound like the songs I listen too. It does force me to learn new techniques or improve on basics. An example is fast chord progressions with the Bob Seger songs and hammer-ons with several of these songs. Plus I am doing fingerpicking with Silent Lucidity!

I intend on learning most of these songs all the way through but for now like I said I am just doing 4-6 measures of the songs..

I ask all of you...is this NORMAL? Am I weird for wanting to try to play these songs only after less than 3 weeks of playing? I mean they are not perfect by no means but they actually DO sound like something!

I know having a new toy such as the Guitar Port doesn't help...or maybe it does in the sense of motivation to play?

To make matters worse...I just bid on a V-Amp 2 by Behringer on eBay :oops: !!! This way I won't need to be tied to my computer when playing my guitar!! Am I bad or what!!!? :twisted:

Thanks!

(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

What is guitar port? :?

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Google: Guitar Port

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

KV, it helped a lot...I just wasn't sure if I was setting myself up for failure...I am reading a music theory book and finding what I can online...but the actual playing sometimes doesn't "feel" like practice because I am having so much fun with it...

Maybe its because I am older now that when I tried playing before and I hopefully matured enough to appreciate the baby steps it takes to be successful a something like playing the guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
(@blazedphool)
Trusted Member

thats it im getting a guitarport....i want in on the fun. :twisted:

" We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." - Willy Wonka

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

I sympathize with your feeling, but you've already simplified your playing to only two things. Guitarport, and rigid practice, don't be afraid to experiment.

if you're feeling lazy, try finding out the key of those songs on your guitarport, and play rigid stiff scales against it, that's two in one!

it is good that you observe the fact that learning to play is not all fun, but it can be :D

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Your beating yourself up for having fun. Don't. Playing guitar is supposed to be fun.

Think of this as being on vacation. You'll come back to your practice routine fresh and energized as you would come back to your job after a vacation.

Enjoy, have fun, buy some souveniers and a tee shirt. :wink:

Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

There's no "should" about it. As the one playing the guitar, you call the shots. In the future you may want to do more technical exercises and learn whole songs, but if playing around is what you want to do right now, then by all means: play.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Enjoy it! :D

In my experience there's only one real sin with guitar playing and that's finding excuses NOT to do it.

The best advice I ever saw about trying to be a writer was just two words ("Writers write") - in other words, knock it off with all the pondering, over-analysing and planning to do this that or the other one day.... and just get on with DOING it! :D

I guess the version for us is something like "Players PLAY". I now cringe at all the years I've wasted thinking about playing and never quite getting round to doing it. :oops: Now that I've finally started I'll use any trick I can think of to make sure that I do a reasonable chunk of playing every day.

Keeping it fun and keeping the motivation up is a huge part of bridging that gap between being "someone who fiddles around a bit" on guitar and becoming a musician.

I say "Whatever it takes, mate - whatever it takes" :D

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thanks everyone for your support/suggestions...at least I know I am not the only one that does this!

Unfortunately I was outbid on the V-Amp 2 I wanted...so I guess the umbilical cord is still attached to my puter!

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Enjoy yourself. Do what you want. Learn some songs for a month, then learn some more scales if you'd like. HAVE FUN with it.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I'd have to agree with the others. Playing is practice. An analogy.

I'm a soccer coach (or was).. one thing you learn pretty quick is that it is easier to teach kids to play soccer if you set up the drill in games instead of just drills. Drills are boring and lame. Games are.. fun and it makes you want to do it longer.

More play = more fun = more practice and less chance that you will decide that you hate your instrument.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Ohh and I am SERIOUSLY thinking about getting one of those guitarports this week and signing up for the online stuff.

That looks so fun

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Not to change the subject but the online stuff isn't that great. I got all the tones but I may cancel the subscription. The lessons aren't that good. They do have good drum tracks though. You get the first 30 days free so get what you need then just cancel...

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2