Clear all

I need a volunteer from the audience

24 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I need one or two people who can't, don't or are afraid to play barre chords, to watch a beta version of a video tutorial I'm putting together and give me feedback on the method.

If you've tried barre chords and given up, I'd like to get your input on this too.

Ideally I'd like to get someone who plays the guitar 3-4 times per week or more, has mastered the chords C-A-G-E-D, can play a bunch of basic songs, but is intimdated at the very thought of playing barre chords.

All you have to do is watch the video I'll post, try out the method for a couple of days and report back.

This is a very simple zen-like approach to play barre chords that focuses on technique and understanding. I've had students playing barre chords the same day with no problems. I just want to see if I can communicate the same technique and thought process via video.

IM me if you are interested and when I have the video up I'll send you a link.

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I can help, but I am not a beginner nor afraid of barre chords.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I appreciate that, but I really need someone who hasn't started them in earnest.

Although I could post a testimonial from you saying, "After watching Nick's video, I could play barre chords easily." I would leave out the part where you could play them before.

ReplyQuote
(@bdolnik)

I've been playing for about 3 months and know all the open chords you've mentioned. I can play a couple songs pretty well, Horse with no Name, Mull of Kintyre, Can't you see, House of the Rising Sun, Three Little Birds, and For what it's worth. I've been shying away from any songs with the "F" chord so would like to try your method and will give feedback.

If you come up with a method for singing and playing at the same time let me know :)

Bryan

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Hey Nick,

I can maybe help you out with this. My 16 yr. old son has limited experience with barre chords. He noodles around with online tabs to learn riffs from his fav. songs, but that's about it. He is interested in learning the guitar, but hasn't really put forth a full-on effort at it, y'know with video games, girls & such being his main interests. 8) If you think he could work out for you, let me know what we need to do.

Cheers,
katmetal

ReplyQuote
(@melander)
Trusted Member

I'd be willing to give it a shot too Nick. I've been playing since Christmas, know the chords and can execute them pretty well and have a couple of songs that I'm working on - that I haven't mastered yet, but at least they are recognizable. I've tinkered around with barre chords without much success, I mean with five or ten seconds of 'finger arrangement', I can play the chord - that's not very useful :oops: . I play/practice every day

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I just uploaded a video with an F chord in it . . . sometimes I hit it . . . sometimes not.
So, I'm still doing battle with the dreaded barre chords . . . . and the B barre chord? . . . :roll:
I practice 2 or 3 times a day . . . about 30 to 45 minutes each time.

I'll give it a try if you think I qualify . . . I'd like to see it anyway to see if it helps.

But I think my main problem is a physiological one . . .
my fingers don't have enough meat on them to press all the strings against the fret.

The spirit is willing . . . but the beef is missing . . .

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@daven)
Estimable Member

I'm game if you can use me I can play the chords you list, and I can play a couple easy songs but I avoid anything with an f, I just can't get the barre chords.

ReplyQuote
 db1
(@db1)

i wouldn't mind helping out....i've been playing for about 7 months and know my open chords and a few basic songs, but still too scared to try bar chords, though i've been trying to work on my F a little bit. i practice about 3-4 times per week as you say....

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Me too!

I just sent you a PM.

I've been playing in earnest around a year-

Can do some stuff. Can do the chords you name. Can't do barre chords for *beep*

Hope this works,

Ande

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I've been avoiding barre chords to the best of my ability, but they always catch up. It's not that I don't understand how to make them, or their shapes (Root 5, Root 6, as my teacher called them: E-shape, A-shape, blah blah blah :P) but it's finger mechanics. I'd be really interested to see the video.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@hanging-chord)
Estimable Member

I have the same "meat" problem as kenrogers, but I've been dogged in trying to get barre chords down, because I see them as the gateway to playing any chord anywhere on the fretboard. I can barre E to Am pretty well :wink: and not too bad at E to C, but the A & D are very tough, and I can't barre the G-shape for *beep*.

All that is to say: I'd be very interested in evaluating your video.

ReplyQuote
(@sunnydunes)
Eminent Member

I'm trying to learn barre chords at the moment. I've been playing guitar for maybe 8 months, and the small-barre F-chord for a month or two. Today I'm been trying the Bm chord (x24432) and the F#m chord (xx4222). After a lot of practice, they ring more often than not. (By the way, is the main chord progression of Give up Your Guns by The Buoys Bm-Fm or Bm-F#m? Still not sure.)

When I try to play full barre chords though, there's always a string muted string in there somewhere. It's also too painful to practice for more than a minute or so. I was hoping more practice would mean more callouses, would mean being able to apply more pressure, would finally mean a clean sound. More pressure seems to improve my small barres at least. Then again, I've read pressure is unimportant whith proper placement.

If I'm the kind of guy you're looking for / you think this video would help me, I'd love to give it a go!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thank you all. I think I have enough for now.

I'll put the rough video together this weekend and send you all a link when it's posted.

Thanks again

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I have the same "meat" problem as kenrogers, but I've been dogged in trying to get barre chords down, because I see them as the gateway to playing any chord anywhere on the fretboard. I can barre E to Am pretty well :wink: and not too bad at E to C, but the A & D are very tough, and I can't barre the G-shape for *beep*.

All that is to say: I'd be very interested in evaluating your video.

Not to hijack or derail the thread, but I may have sort of the same problem... not enough index finger. It measures 2.75" from base (at the crease of the palm) to the tip. I can get the bass strings to ring, or I can get the high strings to ring, but rarely all 6 when I make (or try) a F#m or Bm, for example. Even with rolling my index finger towards the headstock. So I cheat and use the 2 finger version. :oops: But I definitely need to learn to barre all 6 strings. I think it is a matter of practicing them even just 10 mins. a day to get the right feel, lay down the neural pathways (fancy-schmancy for "practice makes perfect") and build the finger strength and dexterity.

Oh the trials, tribulations, and melodrama of a budding guitarist!

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2