Clear all

I need a volunteer from the audience

24 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I think it's OK to hijack the thread now . . . Nick's got what he wants . . .

But that wasn't my problem . . . my fingers are plenty long enough . . . just skinny . . .

umh . . . picture this . . . typical (6 ft.) geek physiology . . . got it? . . .

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=35807&start=810#p400315

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@jase36)
Reputable Member

Ken

My sons guitar teacher had very thin fingers and he played barres no trouble(as he should if hes a teacher)

I think your virtually there with your E shaped barres, changing from an open to a barre like your doing is harder than barre to barre. I think the tempo you played at was just a bit to quick for you at the moment to get the change to the barre in time and if you slowed that progression down a bit you'd be able to cut out the slight delay your getting going into your F.

I like your diamonds and rust cover.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

So stop looking at the fretboard.

Sit that guitar up on it's side, use the strap if you have to. You've got your wrist cocked at an un-godly angle that makes mine hurt just looking at it. :D

Seriously, take a minute and think about where you've got your muscles tightened or joints in weird positions from shoulder to wrist. Relax.

Nothing wrong with your playing though.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Ken

I think your virtually there with your E shaped barres, changing from an open to a barre like your doing is harder than barre to barre. I think the tempo you played at was just a bit to quick for you at the moment to get the change to the barre in time and if you slowed that progression down a bit you'd be able to cut out the slight delay your getting going into your F.

I like your diamonds and rust cover.
Thanks, Jase
So stop looking at the fretboard.

Sit that guitar up on it's side, use the strap if you have to. You've got your wrist cocked at an un-godly angle that makes mine hurt just looking at it. :D

Seriously, take a minute and think about where you've got your muscles tightened or joints in weird positions from shoulder to wrist. Relax.

Nothing wrong with your playing though.
What fretboard? . . . :mrgreen:

I'll start working on making the guitar more vertical . . . and straightening the wrist.

Thanks,
KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I'll start working on making the guitar more vertical . . . and straightening the wrist.

I always have to remember to tuck my wrist under; you need a gap between your palm and the bottom of the neck. I've also found that holding guitar with the neck and headstock higher, almost, but not totally classical style, greatly improves my sound.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Don't do that by wrapping your wrist.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'll be recording this tonight and tomorrow morning. I should have the video available tomorrow afternoon.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Ken - a good wrist strengthening exercise for you - buy a heavy beer glass. Fill with the beverage of choice. Lift glass to lips with LEFT hand!

Works for me, anyway!

Seriously, your fingers are like mine - very long and thin. I'm very tall and very slim - well, skinny is a good word for it. Thin is another one. When I walk past railings, it's a case of "now you see me, now you don't" - I've heard all the thin jokes over the years. The only place I've got any serious meat on my bones is my stomach - and I'm quite proud of my beer-belly, I've paid a lot of money over the last, ooh, 35 years for it. Yeah, go on, do the math - the legal drinking age over here is 18. and I'm 51...at least till June.

What you could do with is/are some finger and wrist strengthening exercises. Either that, or use lighter strings. Lighter strings are a trade-off - maybe you'll lose a little volume, maybe you'll lose a little tone....but it's no good using heavier strings that you THINK will give you the perfect tone if you haven't got the strength to hold 'em down!

Heavier strings = better tone? Hmm, in a perfect world, yes - but if those strings are too heavy for your fingers to hold down comfortably, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage.

I use 9's on all my guitars - I know of at least one well-seasoned pro (Cat) on these forums who uses 8's, and he'll recommend using them to anyone who'll listen. I'd love to be able to, but I tend to break the top E a lot with 8's, it's the huge bends I use that wears them out quickly - so I'll stick with 9's. I've used them for years, but if I could find a way to get more than a couple of days out of a set of 8's - as opposed to the couple of months I get out of a set of 9's - I'd use them all the time.

The last few years, I've broken my left arm, broken my little finger twice, and suffered a severed tendon in the back of my left hand - yet my left hand now is stronger than my right. Not as versatile, maybe, but definitely stronger. Constant exercise is the key - so get that pint glass out of your right paw and lift it with your left!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Hmmm . . . I'm using 10s now . . .

I'll take your advice, Vic, and try 9s . . . . it will give me an excuse to go to the guitar store . . .

. . . my wife will really thank you for that . . . just be sure to duck when she does.

KR2

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2