Clear all

I need help for a new amp

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@fishyboy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello. Currently I own the Vox VT30 and have done for over a year now. As good as the amp is, it doesn't give a true, thick sound; tends to sound quite weak especially when distortion is running through it. I was looking into valve amps as a stage up, however my knowledge on them is quite small. I was wondering if you could tell me some notable names before I go to a guitar shop and walk out with an amp that I really don't need. Basically my style of play is quite varied at the moment, but I play a lot of heavy distortion tunes from van halen, satch, and light distortion from led zeppelin etc.

Obviously you can't tell me what amp to get, that's down to me and what i think sounds good, but a pointer in the right direction would be appreciated :)

All the gear, but no idea.
http://www.youtube.com/user/93fishi/videos

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

The VT-30 seems to be a really versatile little beastie.
And it has a tube pre-amp in it as well as all the modelling.

Anyway, you like the Led Zeppelin guitar sound?
Jimmy Page used VOX amps (specifically the AC-30) in the studio. Your amp has models of 3 different versions of that amp built-in.
Page also uses (among others) quite a lot of Les Pauls, which I believe you also have.

Far be it from me to tell someone not to buy more gear, but I think you might find the sound you are looking for if you spend a bunch of time alone with your guitar, your amp and it's manual. (by the way, this process is often called "woodshedding - locking yourself in the woodshed with your instrument and doing nothing but learning everything that you can do with your instrument. For extended periods of time - days - weeks - maybe months)

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

OK... so Im kinda on the same boat with kent... Kinda. :D

I have a VT30 myself... It is a great amp, but there is also a lot of dull, lifeless tones in there...but there are also some nice thick chreamy ones also!! IMHO there is a pretty steep learning curve to finding the sweet spot. How much time have you spent digging through the settings? Im not a fan of high distortaon... but I do like quite a bit of tube overdrive.. so we might be on diferent pages... But I run mostly the AC15 or AC30 setting, some times the blackface settings... I run the master vol full on, and adjust the vol with little knob on the back, and the gain and other vol knob. I normaly bypass the effects, or if Im playing somewere diferent I dile in a little reverb only

OK... so that being said... Im also looking at traiding up one day soon... But my thing is that I like the amp... but frankly it has more stuff in it then I want. I dont need all the extras, and just have to adjust around them.. Being that you said you like a lot of diferent sounds, I would think it would be great for you. Check out the valvetronics web forum.. [sorry I dont have the link here.... if you cant find it give me a yell..] lots of setting listed there to get most any sound you want. Also the stock speaker is not known to be steller... a LOT of guys swap it out for a diferent one.

OK... so if your still sold on getting a new amp... fill the guys in on what your use will be. If just praticing the Epiphone Vlave Jr is a cranking little beast! Great price, sounds pretty good, and WAY easy to mod! Does into distortion pretty easy so might be good for you.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@fishyboy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the replies. I assumed it didn't have the thick sound I was looking for, turns out I was wrong. I've had the amp for some time, however I never really played about with it in full due to not spending much time with it. I went onto vox's site and they have a toneroom, here is the link if you were interested. You probably already know of it. I seem quite foolish now :P I just gotta learn how to use the amp...
Thanks

All the gear, but no idea.
http://www.youtube.com/user/93fishi/videos

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

There's no such thing as a silly question (some of the answers, however... :lol: )

Seriously, never feel foolish about honestly asking a question, especially here.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Great to hear you found some good sounds in her!!!! Took me a lot of messing with it to learn it's ins and outs

Paul B

ReplyQuote