Clear all

I should start singing, shouldn't I?

21 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I can get pretty much through Heart of Gold, I Hear You Knocking, Proud Mary, and Working Class Hero playing the rhythm. OK, on I Hear You Knocking and Proud Mary I play with my iTunes on the computer. The other two songs don't lend themselves to that so I just go it alone with the rhythm.

I know I should start singing along with playing, but I'm skeered and embarassed. :oops: Oh I can sing well enough along with iTunes or a cd or the radio. Even by myself if I put my mind to it. Maybe I should start with singing and playing long with the recordings of I Hear You Knocking and Proud Mary to lose the initial trepidation, and get a feel for doing three things at once (fretting, strumming and singing).

Or is it too early since I need to work on more chord and playing basics (barre chords, progressions, etc.), or doesn't it matter?

What say you?

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

You're not going to get the girls if you don't sing to them.

And unless you're planning to learn really cool instrumentals, you might have to sing so folks know what you're playing because the chords might not be enough.

And sing for yourself because it's fun too.

(I rarely sing for anybody BUT myself)

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

You're not going to get the girls if you don't sing to them.

Ain't that the most lame reason to sing ?

You should sing just cauz you want to and it gives you the joy.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Come on Rahul, it's all about the chicks.

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody hears, did it really make a sound? It's the same with singing! If you sing to yourself does it really matter?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

And unless you're planning to learn really cool instrumentals, you might have to sing so folks know what you're playing because the chords might not be enough.

Agreed, unless I learn how to play melody with chords. Eventually I want to do that.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Min,

On a serious note if you want to sing start now, don't wait till you develop your chord changes or anything else, as a matter of fact it may be easier now then getting advanced on the guitar and trying to start later.

If you can't sing in time start with humming anyting that gets you closer to actually singing will help.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

It doesn't hurt to sing. I don't sing too much in public and the only person I'm not really nervous to sing in front of is my girlfriend. But get a few drinks in me and I'll sing anything (sadly my playing ability goes down as quickly as the drinks).

However, look at a few very famous musicians...Bob Dylan, Les Claypool (bass), and many others....not fantastic singers but it never stopped them. Why should it stop you?

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Min,

On a serious note if you want to sing start now, don't wait till you develop your chord changes or anything else, as a matter of fact it may be easier now then getting advanced on the guitar and trying to start later.

If you can't sing in time start with humming anyting that gets you closer to actually singing will help.

OK, thanks. Kind of what I thought. I needed expert advice. :D

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

It doesn't hurt to sing. I don't sing too much in public and the only person I'm not really nervous to sing in front of is my girlfriend. But get a few drinks in me and I'll sing anything (sadly my playing ability goes down as quickly as the drinks).

My doctor, a little old Irish gentleman said that for St. Paddy's Day he had a wee bit o' wine, which made him a very good singer... or so he thought. :lol:
However, look at a few very famous musicians...Bob Dylan, Les Claypool (bass), and many others....not fantastic singers but it never stopped them. Why should it stop you?

Oh, no... it's not the quality of my voice. It's just being unsure about the timing and being able to sing or play, but not both at the same time (you know, like not being able to pat your head and rub your stomach :lol: ). But like anything else I guess it takes practice.

OK, I'm sold... gonna do it! :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

its never too early to start...ANYTHING! :D

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

Learn to sing.

The singer is the most important person in the band. I hate to say that, because I came to singing late. I always thought either the guitarist or saxophonist was more important, but it ain't so.

Do learn to sing but it's best if you get a qualified vocal instructor to start you out.

Your throat must stay relaxed - or else you can get nodules on your vocal chords - not a good thing.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocal_fold_nodule

Learn to breathe with your diaphragm, NOT with your chest - or you can get nodules on your vocal cords - not a good thing.

After you learn to sing safely, then develop your voice and style.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Absolutely do it. Its NEVER too early to start. Even if you can't sing. I'm of the philosophy that we should all dance like no one is watching. Same for singing. Go for it man. You only go through this life once. Make it worth it!

BTW...dl0571, Dylan actually can sing. There is a reason why he sounds the way he does.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all. It's going to take practice to get the timing right and the coordination to play as I sing. That's all it is, coordination. My voice is pretty OK.

ReplyQuote
(@randomencounter)

I'm still quite new to guitar myself, but I've been singing forever.

I have found that for myself the timing from singing along with my playing "pulls" my strumming, and that pulls my chord changes. Almost as good as a metronome, and more fun.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

....like not being able to pat your head and rub your stomach....

That's not as hard as it seems...try rubbing your stomach with a circular motion with your left hand. Get a constant rhythm going and keep it going for about 10 seconds or so. Now, while carrying on with that exercise with your left hand, try patting your head with your right hand. Not so difficult now!

OK, playing guitar and singing at the same time is a little more complicated....but it's the same basic principle. I find it helps if you really know the song...get a nice smooth strumming pattern going, then try singing over it. If you know the lyrics well, it shouldn't be a problem - your subconscious will do some of the work for you, in the same way that "muscle memory" will take you to the right chords.

And that's all there is to it, really - even if you're just mumbling at first, or just playing a straight DUDUDUDU rhythm, all the rest is practise. Oh, and not being embarrassed to let your voice go....don't hold back, just let it out. What's the worst that could happen? The neighbours suing? Hey, at least you'll get the publicity....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2