Clear all

I think I have GADD

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I think I have guitar attention deficit disorder. I can play the beginnings/intro riffs to a bunch of songs, but I'm not really adding to my song list with more complete songs & more complex stuff. I'm playing for 6 months now, and I feel like I'm making some progress, but I'm all over the place. I can do some songs thru, like Yer so Bad, Wish you Were Here, three marlenas, horse with no name, patience, every rose, etc. Mostly easy stuff with 1st position open chord changes. Trying to break out of straight strumming but my practice time is limited and I dont feel focused. Trying to learn Sweet home alabama (alt pick) and Needle and damage done (davids lesson) as well as others, and I'm also trying to get barre chords down, really just the F shape right now. I can typically find 30 mins 5 days/week to practice, but that time flies by and It doesnt feel like its enough to make progress. I feel like I've got too many irons in the fire. Really venting more than anything else, but does anyone else suffer from this and have any ideas on how to make the most of 30 minutes? I'm working on coming up with a list of very specific goals, long and short term. Probably just answered my own question. oh well, free therapy.

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Brian, I would be a teacher's worst nightmare. I never practice. I play & learn. Sure, I'll no less, sooner. That's not a concern of mine.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Brian, you say you feel like you have too many irons in the fire. So take some irons out. Pick one thing that you can't do as well as you'd like to do today, and work on that one thing for a week. Solidly work on it. Accept no slop in your practice time. In a week you won't have mastered it, but you'll be a lot better. You'll be able to see you've made progress.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

Just a suggestion that may or may not work. Find somebody to play with. I play with a friend of mine who sings. This way I have to at least learn/play the songs all the way through. Left to my self, I don't do this at all and feel I haven't accomplished anything. I am also starting to take classes (not 1-1 lessons, but 5 people classes as that's more my style) which should also provide the motivation to accomplish some things. I bet joining a band or regularly jamming with people would help too if that's a possibility.

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I am kind of the same way but my solution is to just come back to them an finish them. I was getting bored of Stairway to Heaven and Wanted Dead or Alive since I played them EVERYDAY at the beginning...I gave it a break and went on to something else...now I am coming back to them and the others I left behind...you'll eventually settle down and complete projects...

But for me I made sure the pieces I did/do know I know them AT LEAST to the BEST of my ability at the momment. Then when I return to them I up the level to my ability at that momment...Sometimes you realize when you start a song that it's above your head until to get more skills acquired...when you come back to them you find your abilities have risen closer to the level of the song...

ReplyQuote