I Think I just Got a Nice Deal

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@redbeard)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Howdy all,

I finally found a teacher and purchased an electric guitar, which I had to order online since nobody around here was carrying the model. Im going to my 2nd lesson tonight (i still dont have the guitar, see below) WOOT.

So I've been eyeing this guitar for a while, and GC was selling it for $700 dollars. MF was selling it for $500 so I figured I was already getting a good price. So Thursday I look, and its $500. I talk with my wife about it on Friday morning and she gives me the go ahead, so I load up the page to buy the guitar and lo and behold its listed at $400. I immediately add it to my cart along with some accessories and then check out.

So I am checking it out on Saturday, sitting impatiently waiting (I got next day shipping but it has to process so I wont get it til Tuesday) and I go to the MF site and the guitar is once again listed for $500. So either they had some sort of a one day sale on the guitar or there was a glitch or something. Either way I get the $400 price so Im extremely happy. I cant find a negative review for this guitar, and its always nice to commit to a higher price and then get a lower one.

So Im looking at the guitar on Sunday, and MF is now saying they dont carry the model. I kind of panicked, since my order was still processing. It turns out the 2009 models are just coming out and MF was switching over to the new model, so they mustve been trying to dump the last of the older guitars. But I talked with MF and they verified that I am still getting the guitar (its in stock) and the lower price, so all is good there.

From what I can tell though there isnt much difference between the one im getting and the new one, excpet for the inlay.

Anyways, sorry that was kind of rambly, I am just sitting here impatiently waiting for my guitar to come tomorrow and thought id share.

OH I guess I could link the guitar. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-F400-Electric-Guitar?sku=516666
Any of you have any experience with ESP LTDs or the F family of guitars in general?

"I just curse the sun so I can howl at the moon" ~QOTSA

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

congrats and enjoy!

BTW, you do know that GC owns MF, right? and MF owns Harmony Central ...

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Nice guitar!! I hope that you enjoy playing it!
GC owns MF, right? and MF owns Harmony Central ...
Interesting, I knew that Guitar Center owned Musicians Friend, but not that MF owned harmony-central.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Any of you have any experience with ESP LTDs or the F family of guitars in general?

First off, congrats. Looks like a lot of guitar for the money. I have some experience with an ESP LTD M-252. Kind of an old guitar and you can hardly find info on it. Probably irrelevant in a way, but I got this for a song used at GC for like $127. The power plugin was hosed, and it has a few dings in it. On top of that, it was quite dusty and had been for a while. A new set of strings, cleaning, proper set up and a new $3 plug and I was in business. It has less powerful pickups than yours, but I can really get some major-league hardcore new metal rock and grunge tones with it. It's solid as a rock, set up nicely and plays quite easily. I suspect you'll be even more pleased than I am.

Have your new teacher take a look at it closely and see if he/she/it feels you whether it needs a proper set-up or not. If so, get it done. Well worth it.
Interesting, I knew that Guitar Center owned Musicians Friend, but not that MF owned harmony-central.
Me not know either. I think they own some other sites too, like maybe that Music123 site or something?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Me not know either. I think they own some other sites too, like maybe that Music123 site or something?

all on Wikipedia

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@redbeard)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

congrats and enjoy!

BTW, you do know that GC owns MF, right? and MF owns Harmony Central ...

I didnt know that. I wonder why theyre competing with themselves hah.

Will throw up some pictures of mine when it comes, I just called MF and they said it didnt ship yesterday for some reason.

I know some people wait weeks / months for guitars to come in, Ive been waiting since Friday morning when I ordered it, I dont know how you guys can handle it haha.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

It's a pretty nice guitar. Both guitarists in our band play LTDs, our rhythm guitarist's is the same model as what you bought, in red. I played it last week just showing them a new song and it played pretty nice.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

BTW, you do know that GC owns MF, right? and MF owns Harmony Central Yeas, & also Music123 & I think also ZZounds, i had seen that guitar on the "Stupid deal of the day" & was kinda considering it, but I had prev. purchased 2 guitars just recently, so I couldn't go for a third or I would be sleeping in the doghouse for sure! :) It looks like a nice axe, ESP's are great, I wouldn't mind having it.

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

BTW, you do know that GC owns MF, right? and MF owns Harmony Central Yeas, & also Music123 & I think also ZZounds, i had seen that guitar on the "Stupid deal of the day" & was kinda considering it, but I had prev. purchased 2 guitars just recently, so I couldn't go for a third or I would be sleeping in the doghouse for sure! :) It looks like a nice axe, ESP's are great, I wouldn't mind having it.

Well at least you would've had something to play while you were in the dog house :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@redbeard)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

The guitar just came!! It looks awesome, feels awesome. I dont know if it plays awesome cause I dont know what im doing, but all I know is that i like it!

Woot.

I got guitarport with it and everything worked smooth, used the built in tuner to tune it with the help of this excellent article https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/first-time-tuning/ .

messed around with the presets just to see what was available, pretty powerful stuff. Now I actually have to do some work, ugh, but cant wait to play with it more tonight.

Just thought id share =P

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Congrats! Hard to work when you've got it so close to you, eh?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote