Skip to content
I Want a Versatile ...

Notifications
Clear all

I Want a Versatile Guitar, but don't like Srats?

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@canucks12)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

My Situation: I've been playing acoustic and am now looking at buying an electric.

My Dilemma: I want a versatile guitar to play across a wide range of music styles and I have been told the Strat is the answer. I just can't stand the look of them for some reason.

My Question: Are there some good alternatives to Strats?

Thanks

(@alangreen)

Gibson - Les Paul or SG - or copies (Epiphone are the licensed copies)

Washburn - more easily affordable

PRS - like the Les Paul, and just as expensive

BC Rich - for the extrovert metaller

Gretsch - hollow bodied masterpieces. Masterpiece prices to match

Fender - if you don't like the Strat, why not try the Tele?

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

Like Alan said, the tele is a very versatile guitar. Its simple, but you can get a ton of sounds out it.

-Dustin

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

If you want a Fender, try a Nashville Tele. It's even more versatile than a regular Tele as it has a middle pup (Strat pup, IIRC).

In dual humbucker guitars, a Gibson ES-335 semihollow or clone (e.g., Ibanez AS-120, AS-200, John Scofield, or Hamer model ???, Epi for really inexpensive versions, e.g., the Dot) will be very versatile. Gibson also makes the ES-333, which is a stripped down version of the 335 at about 60% the cost. It isn't the most popular guitar type these days, but plenty of the "masters" have used the 335 for many types of music: rock, blues, jazz, fusion, alt, swing ...

Ibanez, Yamaha (Pacifica line), Dean, Jackson and many others also make lot's of so-called Super-Strats. They are modern takes on the Strat design. You may find something to your liking there.

Don't compromise too much for the sake of versatility -- a guitar should have some character. Even a Strat, though considered versatile, has a sound many of us can identify. Yet that somewhat distinctive sound translates well into many genres.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@barre_none)

Heck they even use them for country. LOL. Just teasing. Everybody talks about the Strat for blues and rock, but the tele is popular for blues, rock and country.

Also, it's not that Epiphone makes licensed copies of the Gibsons. Epiphone is a subsidiary of Gibson. Gibson bought em in 1958. They sell lower priced versions of the same styles. Kinda like when you buy a big four door Chevy, you're getting much the same car as a Caddy but with less features.

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

The PRS SE models are a lot more affordable.
Burns Marquee, Bison and Cobra are distinctive and versatile.
Jazzmaster and Jaguar work for jazz to alt.
But for those Strat sounds, you need to get a Strat, but a Tele can make a decent substitute, with it's own unique sounds.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

There's a nice PRS SE model that has the strat's pickup configuration. It looks like a Strat, only with that distinctive PRS body shape. I forget what teh model is, EG maybe? I don't remember it being overly expensive, maybe you should check that one out.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

I guess it also depends on what degree of versatiliy.
Rock and blues?
Metal and funk?
Pop and Jazz?
Flamenco and Frippatronics?

ReplyQuote
(@dynamoiv)

You could also look into G&L guitars, in terms of style they are similar to fenders because Leo Fender was a owner of G&L

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

You could also look into G&L guitars, in terms of style they are similar to fenders because Leo Fender was a owner of G&L

Agreed, but G&Ls -- especially newer models -- still look almost exactly like Strats and Teles. Even my 20-year-old G&L S-500 is only a slight variation on the Strat shape -- it is, however, better made than all but the most expensive Strats (equal to those).

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

The Carvin AE-185 is versatile - acoustic/electric.

A friend has one of those Brian May style guitars and he says there's loads of pickup combinations with it.

ReplyQuote