Skip to content
I was hoping some t...

Notifications
Clear all

I was hoping some talented person could help me out?

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@connelguitar)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I am unable to workout the three chords to all that she wanted by james marsters, I was hoping someone could watch this video and tell me what he is playing? Tips on his strumming would also be appreciated, thank you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5ercS2bNYI&feature=related

(@davidhodge)

Chords are E, B and A. The E is done as an "A shape" barre chord (779997) (although sometimes he's leaving the low E string open (079997) to get that low bass note - while the B and A are "E shaped." If you're not certain what that means, take a look at this lesson from the "Lessons" section here at Guitar Noise: https://www.guitarnoise.com/lesson/but-then-again/

As for strumming, he's essentially using all eighth notes but primarily stressing them with a heavy accent on the first and second beats while lightly playing them on the other beats and off beats. He's got the great light touch of the best rhythm players and you should notice how he keeps his wrist moving throughout every single beat, even when he's not hitting the strings or hitting them very lightly.

The other thing to notice about his strumming is that he's also accenting the bass and middle strings of the guitar. Again, it may look like he's hitting all the strings, but he's actually doing a great job of only hitting the ones he wants. Couldn't ask for a better demonstration of smooth and smart playing, creating an interesting feel and sound out of a very straight forward and typical rhythm.

Hope this helps and welcome to Guitar Noise. Looking forward to seeing you around on the forums. And be sure to check the rest of the site out as well!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@connelguitar)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I must say that is perhaps the most comprehensive and helpful response i've ever recieved on the internet, thanks a bunch :) and yes I look forward to using the rest of the site if your help is any reflection upon it :)

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

I will state categorically that there is NOT a better resource base for guitarists other than Guitar Noise. Glad you figured that out! :wink:
Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@connelguitar)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Yes Cat it has been a very helpful resource thus far, but I was also wondering how many times is he actually hitting each chord, that probably sounds a tad simple simple of me llf=/? I know David said he is playing 1/8 notes but im still having a bit of trouble.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Asking "how many times is he hitting each chord" doesn't sound simple - but you can't answer it without getting into both the music and the rhythm and you have to have an understanding of that if you want to be a guitarist and a musician. I apologize in advance if some of this answer is painfully obvious, but not knowing your musical background I'm going from square one.

First, every song has a time signature, or a pulse if you will. Most songs, including this one, have four beats to a measure. You might want to read this Guitar Noise lesson to catch you up to speed on this:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/getting-past-up-and-down-part-1/

Okay, since we've got four beats per measure, strumming in eighth notes means that you're strumming down on the beats and up on the offbeats, like this:
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +
D U D U D U D U

You can hear that he's not hitting the strings every time. More often than not, he's hitting the strings on just the beat of the first and second beats and on both the beat and the offbeats of the third and fourth beat, like this:
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +
D D D U D U

But it's important to not start thinking of this as a "strumming pattern" - think of it more as a template or a fallback position. During the course of the song he'll make slight adjustments to it (and most musicians do this without thinking). For instance, when he's doing the first verse and chorus, the strumming is more like this:
E B A B

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +
D D D U D U D D U D U D U D D D U D U D U D U D U D U

And throughout the song, he's strumming many slight variations of this template, such as missing the downstroke on the third beat from time to time. Add to this the way that he emphasizes certain strings at certain points and you'd probably see some "note for note" tablature written out like this:
E B A B
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +

E - - - - - - - - - - - 7 - - - - - - - 5 5 - - - - - - - - - - - -
B - - - - - - - - - - - 7 7 - - - - - - 5 5 - - - - - - - - - - - -
G - - - 9 - - 9 9 9 8 - 8 8 - 8 - - - - 6 6 6 - 6 - - - - - - - - -
D - - - 9 - - 9 9 9 9 - 9 9 9 9 9 9 7 - 7 7 7 - 7 7 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9
A - 7 - 7 - - 7 7 7 9 - 9 - 9 9 9 9 7 - 7 - 7 - 7 7 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9
E - 0 - 0 - - - - - 7 - 7 - 7 - - - 5 - 5 - 5 - 5 - 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7

Now, you can try to copy this exactly, hitting each set of strings with precisely the right touch and the right emphasis or you can simply "strum E, B, A and B" Learning to play what you hear is all about counting and keeping the beat steady. At the risk of sounding like an old curmudgeonly teacher, you can learn about doing so in this lesson:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/lesson/getting-past-up-and-down-part-2/

And you can also learn more about the reasoning behind learning this way here:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/lesson/the-pattern-trap/

Again, I hope this helps. Sorry about being so long-winded with the answers.

Looking forward to chatting with you again.

Peace

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

every song has a time signature, or a pulse if you will.

Paraphrasing: this is the essence of being a musician. FEEL IT!!!!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@connelguitar)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Apologies for my late reply, but this was very helpful, to be honest I think I have the song down now. Thanks a bunch David.

ReplyQuote