Ibanez 5 way switch questions

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@bustin40)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi All

I just picked up a used RG321 because it felt the best along with a Cube15. The guitar is a HH setup with a 5-way switch. If I understand correctly Pos 1 is for the bridge, 3 is for both and 5 is for the neck. What about 2 & 4? I can hear the difference but was just curious. I think it's still stock wiring. Could they be tapped? How would I tell? The pickups say INF3 – INF 4.
8)

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I read somewhere in a review online that the 2 and 4 positions of the switch give you the pickup with both coils but in parallel instead of series. The two coils are both on but instead of acting as one big pickup they are acting as two single coils running together. Is the sound a little thinner and brighter? Sounds like a good idea to me. Looks like a nice guitar too. 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@bustin40)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Assuming the #'s start with 1 on the bottom, 2 is actually more distorted than 1 & 3 while 4 sounds a little cleaner than 3 but not as much as 5. I haven't pulled the back off to look at the wiring so I'm sure if it is a custom job. I do that tonight after I practice a little.
8)

ReplyQuote