Skip to content
If any, what books ...

Notifications
Clear all

If any, what books are you all learning from?

41 Posts
30 Users
0 Likes
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I recently acquired Blues You Can Use following the recommendations from the good folk here.

Haven't had the time to get into it properly yet but I have done the first Lesson. Good stuff so far.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

+1 for BYCU

I also started out with Troy Stetina's "Total Rock" that is besides the 'absolute' beginners books I bought. They all helped in learning chords and the basics of music theory, which sooner or later we all need to learn. (I'm still learning).

I liked Troy's early on, cuz I was 'jammin' really in only about 10 minutes. The first few lessons are very simple and they're alot of fun too. Especially for a first time player like I was/am.

NOTE: You have to play the CDs that come with these books or you'll never know what your supposed to sound like :)

(I only mention that cuz a friend of mine has a virtual library of books, but he's never put any CD in when he practices till I harped on him about it and we tried one together...hehehe oh you should've seen his face light up).

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

i bought an excellent book of a French guitarist (check it at http://www.mega-muse.com ), unfortunately it is available only in French and italian. I developed only the rhyhthm guitar part until last week when I first played the E-blues scale

Then I bought an Acoustic guitar for beginners book complete with dvd, quite good because it deals with a loto of different styles inluding reggae, bossa-nova, blues etc. I did not complete the last five or six exercises otugh

Now I'm using teh Troy stetina metal rhythm guitar course vol. I: it is a real must if you're into heavy metal! It is unbeliavably full of different excercisesand quite difficult too I have to say. Now I've just passed the first half and dealing with Ac/Dc sort of syncopated rhythms, not the easiest around since the strumming is quite sparse and mostly to be played with downstrums on the off-beat but hey if you're into hard rock/metal you have to learn it!

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Matteo,

Does the Troy Stetina Metal Rhythm Guitar book have only tablature or does it have standard music notation, as well?

The description of Metal Rhythm on Amazon.com mentions tablature, but some other Stetina books have both standard notation and tab, so I'm wondering if the Metal Rhythm book has both, as well. (I don't like books that have only tab.)

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

hi margaret

the book has tablature and rhythm notation (not standard notation), so that you know where to put your fingers (tablature) and how long to play each note (rhythm notation).

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@sixstringnoob)

I think "The Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer" is a truly great and more or less complete encyclopedia of everything guitar.
It is PACKED with lot of stuff... Everything from guitar history to theory (lots of theory).
Really worth checking out as a reference.

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Handbook-Ralph-Denyer/dp/0679742751

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

hi margaret

the book has tablature and rhythm notation (not standard notation), so that you know where to put your fingers (tablature) and how long to play each note (rhythm notation).

Matteo
Thanks, Matteo. By rhythm notation, do you mean note stems and flags to show whether quarter note, 8th note, 16th, etc?

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

ehm i'n not 100% sure of your question since i'm not english mother tongue! what I meant is that each note in the tablature has a symbol which tells you its lenght. I should check but it's not the standard notation that you could find in a tarditional music sheet except for the pauses, anyway it is good because it combines the two things: exact fingerings like in the tablature and note lenght as in standard notation

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

That's ok, Matteo. I think I might know what you mean. It might be the "hybrid" tablature that I've seen used by some guitar magazines--basically, tab numbers with note stems.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

That's ok, Matteo. I think I might know what you mean. It might be the "hybrid" tablature that I've seen used by some guitar magazines--basically, tab numbers with note stems.

Margaret

yes Margaret that's it :D

cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@shadowraptor)
Trusted Member

I have just ordered 'Art of Solo Fingerpicking' with CD. Should have it by the end of the week. I'll do a quick review of this book after I have some experience with it. I am really trying to get the fingers on my right hand a little more coordinated (I don't use a pick).

Rob

Have a safe and pleasant day.

Rob
Canada

Yamaha FG-730S
Crafter GAE45/N
Beaver Creek BCR8501
Yamaha CG-? (91)
Yamaha CG-171SF
Framus Texan 5/296 12-String
Takamini EG-345C 12-String
Indiana IN-BM5 Mandolin
M-Audio Oxygen 49 Keyboard

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Rob,

Yesterday I ordered 'Beyond Basics Fingerstyle Guitar' and 'Fingerstyle Noel', both books by Mark Hanson. I'll receive 'Beyond...' by mid June (int'l shipping). Now my interest is also on figerpicking.

We'll speak about our books in the future :D

Nuno

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Still on, "Warren Haynes, Guide to Slide Guitar."

ReplyQuote
(@tiffer)
Eminent Member

Just recently got Blues You Can Use which seems really good so far, probably dont need to tell you that! and I should soon get Noteboats theory book which im sure will be great as his posts on here a very good indeed

ReplyQuote
(@shadowraptor)
Trusted Member

Hey Nuno ...

I have just ordered "Blues You Can Use" - couldn't find it locally. Everything I have read about this book says it's really good.

Rob
Canada

Have a safe and pleasant day.

Rob
Canada

Yamaha FG-730S
Crafter GAE45/N
Beaver Creek BCR8501
Yamaha CG-? (91)
Yamaha CG-171SF
Framus Texan 5/296 12-String
Takamini EG-345C 12-String