Skip to content
If any, what books ...

Notifications
Clear all

If any, what books are you all learning from?

41 Posts
30 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Hey Nuno ...

I have just ordered "Blues You Can Use" - couldn't find it locally. Everything I have read about this book says it's really good.

Rob
Canada

Oh man. You guys are gonna make me dig mine back out. I started it and then did have time to keep up with it. But I've been urging to do it again with all this talk. Its a great book, me thinks.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hey Nuno ...

I have just ordered "Blues You Can Use" - couldn't find it locally. Everything I have read about this book says it's really good.

Rob
Canada
Great! :D

It is a great book. Don't skip any lesson neither any part, try to follow the scales, chords, progressions and studies. Probably, you will know some of them but so you can remember and practice.

Tell us if you like it when it arrives.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I'm planning to buy Ted Green's Chord Progression and I'm choosing some introductory books in order to play Jazz.(any tips?)

The Jodi Fisher series is excellent.
The Complete Jimmy Smith Guitar Method is my all-time favorite book.
Jazzology is worth a serious study.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@jmh1819)
Eminent Member

The first book I was a left-handed guitar technique book which was pretty useless not only because I decided after 5 months of playing to learn how to play right handed instead. :oops:

I went back and got a second set of books and they're way better.
Hal Leonard Guitar Basics - this is an awesome book for beginners because it starts you off immediately learning chords and also some interesting strumming/Rhythm patterns. It also covers barre and power chords, correct practice methods, blues, and a couple of full songs to practice.

Musician's Institute Ultimate Guitar Technique Book - is a big reference book with about any guitar techique you could think of including how to make your guitar sound like an elephant. I'm not sure WHY you want you guitar to sound like that ....

Hal Leonard Music Theory for Guitarists - music theory for guitarists. Haven't worked with it much but it seems pretty to cover everything I'd want to know.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I have bought alot of books in the 4-5 years I've been messing around with guitar some were good some not so good. I don't know of any that I would say WOW this is THE book.

But since I've been with my current teacher for about a year now, I haven't used many books. He keeps me quite busy.

My lesson consists of part technical and part working on a song and for the past few months I've skipped the technical stuff and have just been working on songs. The best thing about my teacher is he has an incredible ear and transcribes any song that I bring in note for note so I can play along with the CDs or whatever. I've probably learned about 40-50 songs in the past year (not all of which I can remember).

Now I just have to find other people that can play the same songs, and it hasn't been easy

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@yournightmare)
Estimable Member

Blues You Can Use and the Fretboard Logic books are my favorites.

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

I'm in the middle of BYCU, also. I'm wondering if anyone has finished this book and then purchased any of the other books in this series. "More Blues You Can Use", "Blues Licks You Can Use"...
Check out http://www.bluesyoucanuse.com

ReplyQuote
(@raistx)
Trusted Member

Hello All,
I started with Hal Leonard Guitar Method books 1-3. Also have used Progressive Barre chords and Progressive Lead Guitar. I was learning lots of tecniques using these books but I didn't seem to be able to play a whole song (which was really bothering me). I started lessons about 2 months ago and its been great, things seem to be falling into place now, learning songs and enjoying myself.

Bye,

Marty

ReplyQuote
(@mr-blue-eyes)
Trusted Member

I've used several book over the past 10 months . AB music theory vol 1 is probable the most useful out of them all, though I'll be keeping an eye out for Blues you can use after so many positive reviews.

ReplyQuote
(@rmorash)
Estimable Member

Besides the apparent standard BYCU I've been teaching myself bluegrass with Russ Barenburg's Teach Youself Bluegrass Guitar which comes with backing tracks to play along with.

Also I recently picked up two fretboard books - for years I was sort of monkey see monkey do as I wasn't too interested in the learning "the how or the why" things worked. Discovering this website changed all that so now I'm trying to learn the theory behind the notes and chords. So I picked up Fretboard RoadMaps by Fred Sokol and Musicians Institute's Guitar Soloing by Daniel Gilbert and Beth Mathis. Both of which have been quite interesting and give plenty of examples and exercises to help learn the notes up the fretboard

ReplyQuote
(@lee-n)
Estimable Member

Where to start! To be honest I often buy books and just browse through them looking for new ideas but of all the books I have had..

Someone mentioned the Ralph Denyer guitar handbook. This is not a book to teach you how to play but I agree the book is fantastic reference, every guitarist should own it.

I have a few Troy Stetinas and they are all very good, hands on learning.
I have all three? BYCU, they look well written and I'm sure they are but I must admit I've only had a flick through them so far.

The one book I bought last year that I can't recommend enough is Guthrie Govens creative guitar 1. This is possibly the best book I've ever bought on guitar. It gave me a few new insights and even though I haven't worked with any of it I do intend to at some point. But I did read the text from start to finish, I've never done that with any guitar book!

It's hard to recommend books without knowing peoples goals and current abilities but if you are a bit past the beginner stage and working on lead guitar rock, blues or metal then Guthrie Goven's is fantastic, followed by Troy Stetina. Guthries Creative guitar 2 is also very good but it's much more for advanced techniques.

All very much IMO of course :)

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3