Notifications
Clear all

Illness

32 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

The whole "Oenyaw" thing gets partial credit for getting through all the deaths in my family over the past few years.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

but yes, it does give you a new perspective on life - makes you grateful for what you've got.

Absolutely! It definitely changes your perspective! In my particular case, knowing that my time is limited, I've been able to stop obsessing about the little things because they're just not important enough! (Who cares if my kitchen's not sparkling other than me?) I've found that I'm opening up a lot more to people rather than sitting back and observing first (as was my wont). Some days the skies are so much bluer than I've ever seen before and the birds sing so much prettier than I've ever heard them sing before! I've been able to forgive where I wasn't able to before. I've learned the value of telling people how much they mean to me right this minute instead of waiting for "the right time" or thinking "they don't want to hear that". They really do want to hear it! And, they appreciate being told! I've learned that life is truly a gift and that you never know when it will be taken from you or when it's quality will diminish, so it's up to each of us to live the best life we possibly can and forget about pettiness and small annoyances. Fight the big fights that matter and the little ones will take care of themselves. Be good to each other and spread the love! That's all that really matters in the long run.

IMHO! :D

I'm off my soapbox now!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

No, stay on that soap box!

Like I've mentioned I've never had anything serious, but I've had a couple of 'scares' you know? Like something goes 'blup' and you don't know what it is and that's even scarier so you go have it checked out and find it was something else. There's a relief there - at least for those where it's not actually something serious - but in that in-between time, when you're waiting for the results or whatever, you realize that you ARE actually alone; like in that Hendrix song (though I wasn't thinking that at the time) "I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die". It's a personal thing that nobody else in the world can share with you, and really shouldn't. Everybody has their own s**t they gotta carry around and deal with.

I got a real perspective of my own mortality, and then I realized I wished it had happened sooner. I mean lots of people (most, perhaps) when they're young, have this 'thing' where they feel invincible - immortal in fact. That youth thing. I had it, and lots of others I'm sure had it. Unless maybe you went to war and saw some stuff that most others didn't; got exposed to mortality.

And I think sometimes it's a disservice to ourselves to think that way because there's sooo much time wasted, thinking "Well, I'll do that one day," or "Yah, but I've got lots of time--I'm young yet."

And further along that train of thought I was thinking that it would be interesting to subtly pass that knowledge on to our kids from an age when they're old enough to understand. Like I dunno, 7th birthday or something? Not too early, not too late. But just something like "Well, remember your last birthday? Think of all the incredible, wonderful things that happened to you since then up to now. Got it? Now the thing is, you'll have maybe 80 or 90 more of these, so don't waste a moment between...."

Might make the kid scared or psycho or something, but...it was just a thought to allow people to face their mortality early enough so they perhaps can do stuff they want to do.

Like for me, I was immortal until about the age of 47 or so. Then that subtle 'spell' was broken and...it's way better, you know? I mean sometimes there's little problems and stuff like the first scare and I go "Okay, I GET it already! I'm mortal! M-O-R-T-A-L. I get it already, alright?"

A little annoying to be frequently reminded you won't always be around, but...it's the truth of it; just took me like 40+ years to 'get it.'

And I think I'm in really good company with fellow 'mortals' because there's that shared sense of timeliness where there's a limit to us, but somehow also a strengthened sense of timelessness; like each hour expands outward or something. Hard to put it into words, but it's like, when you sit back and are shown how important and beatiful each moment can be, then each of those moments become this whole stop-action sort of moment. Things slow down maybe, and you get to see details you missed before, because maybe there was this underlying belief that you'd have the time. At this point, looking at it from the other side of the mortal/immortal fence, I'd have to say that it's better to be mortal and to know that there's an end. Otherwise time isn't important and just gets leaked away.

That's the whole thing though; we're all, in a way, 'dying.' I mean there's poems and songs and stuff about 'from the cradle to the grave' and that we're constantly on our way there and yada yada, but once you 'get it' and it's not just a cliche anymore, life really can be wonderful. And I don't even mean things have to be wonderful and you win a zillion bucks and all that stuff; I guess it's the experiencing of each moment, good or bad, to its fullest. It's not something available to everyone beause of that underlying sense of immortality that we get from somewhere (or maybe it's just me being so dense all these years who didn't get it) but when you get it, it's like a light goes on somewhere. Like "Life to Rick - hey there buddy, wake-the-eff-up now and see what's over here!"

Cool.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

yeah, life is precious and aggravating. I get confused most times. really important stuff as Electrablue and others are experiencing snaps me back to being able to value things properly.
I had three family members die last year. all months apart.
it did not take long after for me to revert to a jerk stuck in traffic.
then I remembered my brothers last words and I felt so stupid.
I hope that jerk inside me is gone for good.
life is fragile.
music is powerful stuff.
my vitamins.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I have used tuning forks as a holistic therapy, and the effect is amazing, I guess basically the theory is that all matter vibrates at certain frequencies and by just sounding certain frequencies thru the body (and energy field if you believe in that stuff), it re-aligns the molecules to where they should be. It sounds airy-fairy but believe me its powerful stuff.
Harps are used in therapy for a range of ailments including multiple sclerosis. Hugging the harp and having its vibrations resonate in the body provides a "musical massage." The harp's vibrations can also be transmitted to the client/patient through various other devices, while someone else does the playing.

I find that fascinating, and I believe we benefit from the vibrations from other instruments as well.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

(Who cares if my kitchen's not sparkling other than me?)

My usual line involves 'dust on the mantelpiece'! :D

I'm a full-time dad, 'housekeeper' and cook as a result of cancer and other illnesses. They have taught me that sparkling kitchens and dusty shelves are VERY minor things in life. As long as my family has food and clean clothes I don't really care too much about housework any more

I'm finding in my early stages of learning that the guitar is actually making my chronic anxiety worse. I hope this will reverse when I get some ability and confidence.

It's humbling to read of other people's problems and how they cope with them. I hope that you all get through them OK.

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I'm finding in my early stages of learning that the guitar is actually making my chronic anxiety worse. I hope this will reverse when I get some ability and confidence.

Just wait until you have your first major breakthrough with the guitar! It seems as if everyone has that one moment of pure epiphany, when things that have been driving you up the wall to the point that you're about to throw the guitar into the nearest wood chipper, suddenly, and for no apparent reason, fall into place. All of a sudden the fingers that wouldn't cooperate to save your life an hour before perform perfectly and the thing that was driving you crazy rings out clear and true! Or your hand, without you having to think about it, forms that chord that you couldn't form at ALL yesterday and you have to do it over and over again just to make sure that it wasn't a fluke! Or that riff that seemed impossible just bursts forth from your fingertips! It is one of the best "highs" you'll ever have!!!

I can guarantee that, once you have that moment, your anxiety about the guitar will vanish! (At least until you hit your next plateau and need another epiphany! But, there are plenty of epiphanies to be had!!) If you find yourself becoming too anxious, put the guitar down. Come back later with a calmer mind. Don't let it get you so anxious that you put it away and never pick it up again!

Anxiety is a vicious circle! I take prescribed drugs for anxiety (have for several years now). The more anxious I feel, the more I want to appear to be calm, which causes the anxiety to worsen, which makes me try harder to appear calm, which causes the anxiety to worsen, which causes me to want to run away and hide (while appearing calm)! Thank goodness for X---x! I couldn't get onstage without them!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Dalron, it's called "playing" for a reason. If it's not fun, something's wrong. Remember I said something about not being as "good as I should be" for as long as I've been playing? Well, it's really because I long ago gave up being goal-oriented about achieving some particular standard of learning to play a particular repertoire of music or a set of skills measured by or against others. I found a particular niche I enjoy a lot, slide blues of rather simple style, and I play it when I want to and how I want to and that's pretty much it. I don't care about being the world's most versatile guitarist, and I'm not ever going to be a famous player. I'll never be "The King Of The Blues," but I play and have fun. I recommend chilling out a bit, finding things you can enjoy doing with your guitar and enjoy them. No point in letting guitar "playing" make your anxiety worse.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

Thanks Elecktrablue & Ricochet. Really nice posts.

I know I've got to chill out: I'm tensing too much (probably trying too hard rather than just going with it).

I do believe that as soon as I get that breakthrough (ie accomplish something), I will relax.

Chris_c, on another thread, advised learning the 'Happy Birthday to you' song which I'm doing. It's even starting to sound like the tune I've heard so many times. :)

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Simple achievements can really be fun! :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

but yes, it does give you a new perspective on life - makes you grateful for what you've got.

Absolutely! It definitely changes your perspective! In my particular case, knowing that my time is limited, I've been able to stop obsessing about the little things because they're just not important enough! (Who cares if my kitchen's not sparkling other than me?) I've found that I'm opening up a lot more to people rather than sitting back and observing first (as was my wont). Some days the skies are so much bluer than I've ever seen before and the birds sing so much prettier than I've ever heard them sing before! I've been able to forgive where I wasn't able to before. I've learned the value of telling people how much they mean to me right this minute instead of waiting for "the right time" or thinking "they don't want to hear that". They really do want to hear it! And, they appreciate being told! I've learned that life is truly a gift and that you never know when it will be taken from you or when it's quality will diminish, so it's up to each of us to live the best life we possibly can and forget about pettiness and small annoyances. Fight the big fights that matter and the little ones will take care of themselves. Be good to each other and spread the love! That's all that really matters in the long run.

IMHO! :D

I'm off my soapbox now!

Elecktrablue,
I read your post and gave it ALOT of thought. For some rason, it really got to me. So much that I sat down and tried to express how I felt on my guitar. But I could not sufficiently express my feelings. As I played, I found myself thinking about you (although we've never met) and I began playing a song by Jackson Browne. Here's a link>>> http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000B5XSXU001005/105-8291965-3198829 For what its worth, I want you to know that each time I play it, I will think of you.

Bright Baby Blues - Jackson Browne
I'm sitting down by the highway
Down by that highway side
Everybody's going somewhere
Riding just as fast as they can ride
I guess they've got a lot to do
Before they can rest assured
Their lives are justified
Pray to God for me baby
He can let me slide

'Cause I've been up and down this highway
Far as my eyes can see
No matter how fast I run
I can never seem to get away from me
No matter where I am
I can't help feeling I'm just a day away
From where I want to be
Now I'm running home baby
Like a river to the sea
Baby if you can see me
Out across this wilderness
There's just one thing
I was hoping you might guess
Baby you can free me
All in the power of your sweet tenderness

I can see it in your eyes
You've got those bright baby blues
You don't see what you've got to gain
But you don't like to lose
You watch yourself from the sidelines
Like your life is a game you don't mind playing
To keep yourself amused
I don't mean to be cruel baby
But you're looking confused

Baby if you can hear me
Turn down your radio
There's just one thing
I want you to know
When you've been near me
I've felt the love stirring in my soul

It's so hard to come by
That feeling of peace
This friend of mine said
"Close your eyes, and try a few of these"
I thought I was flying like a bird
So far above my sorrow
But when I looked down
I was standing on my knees
Now I need someone to help me
Someone to help me please

Baby if you need me
Like I know I need you
There's just one thing
I'll ask you to do
Take my hand and lead me
To the hole in your garden wall
And pull me through

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@mikehull)
Estimable Member

blimey!

makes my "shortish fingers" complaint totally irrelevant!

take care one and all!

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Elecktrablue,
I read your post and gave it ALOT of thought. For some rason, it really got to me. So much that I sat down and tried to express how I felt on my guitar. But I could not sufficiently express my feelings. As I played, I found myself thinking about you (although we've never met) and I began playing a song by Jackson Browne. Here's a link>>> http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000B5XSXU001005/105-8291965-3198829 For what its worth, I want you to know that each time I play it, I will think of you.

:D Thank you, Blueline! You just made my day! Bright Baby Blues is one of my favorite Jackson Browne tunes! Thank you!!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

This is quite a post. I have been injured many times in my life and have the scars to prove it. But fortunately, none were life threatening or crippling.

I did break the ring finger on my fretting hand about a year and a half ago. I know it sounds stupid, but I accidently sat on my hand. :roll:

How it injured my finger I don't know but it did. My finger was very swollen and bent for months. But I have never been a person to go to a doctor, I just taped it up everyday. The swelling has never quite gone away, but my finger is straight again and there is no pain. The funny part of the story is that I can play a "barre A" type chord better than ever. :D

As for guitar being theraputic (sp??), yeah, it is. I have never been one to write songs, I am just too personal to lay my real feelings on the line for the whole world to hear. But about 13 years ago I went through a painful divorce, by far the worst time of my life. I really lost the will to live for awhile there. During this time I felt almost compelled to write songs though, something very rare for me. I wrote about 10 songs in a month or two and recorded them with a cheap recorder. They really came out great. I have let just a very few friends hear these songs and have gotten many compliments on them. I must say myself they are pretty great. But as I began to recover I lost whatever I had during that period. I have probably only written about 5 songs since then, and none of them compare in quality. I guess I gotta really have the Blues to write songs.

But guitar helped me through a bad time in my life. I know a guitar is just a material object, but my guitar has always seemed like a friend to me, helped me through many lonely times.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I did break the ring finger on my fretting hand about a year and a half ago. I know it sounds stupid, but I accidently sat on my hand. :roll:

:)

Glad to know I'm not the only one who can do something like that. As a schoolboy I used to do long jump in athletics. I was reasonably good at it (school champ one year) but I still managed to land on my own arm one day and stick one of the spikes on my running shoe right into my wrist :shock: Missed the artery fortunately. Don't think I got any barre side benefits though... :wink:

I might as well trot out my own background, guitar related story too I suppose.

I'm now a 'home Dad', house-husband, homemaker or whatever it's called. This came about after the birth of my son (Over the previous 30 years or so I'd done many jobs, mostly in my own businesses, in a variety of areas ranging from Mechanical Engineering, building, woodworking, computers and so on..... I did like to get around... :wink: ). At the time I'd just finished building our house and my wife had a good career, so I thought I'd look after him for a while before getting back to work.

But it turned out to be a much bigger job than I thought. Kids always are (Having kids was once described by somebody as "The best and the worst thing you'll ever do"!) but in this case he also had a severe disability which made the ride extremely rough and tough for all of us. Until about 18 months ago I not only cared for him full time but also home schooled him as well. He is now at High School, in a well supported Ed Unit, so I have some more free time. It's a been a pretty stressful and difficult 14 years (just to spice it up I was also hospitalised twice for life threatening conditions, when he was still a toddler). But I wouldn't want to have missed it either. Like others here, I found music a great companion. Learning guitar has been a wonderful addition to my life - part friend, part escape vehicle. I've enjoyed all the learning aspects (an endless pool to explore) and the emotion/imagination/fantasy elements of music too. And I've especially enjoyed meeting all the people here at GN and reading all the fascinating posts. Thanks to you all for sharing your stories, your tips and your experience ... 8)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3