Skip to content
I'm just memorizing...

Notifications
Clear all

I'm just memorizing tab, How do I actually become fluent ?

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@samhow)
Topic starter  

Hi,

[Executive summary : looking for a list of what to learn (eg. open chords, all notes on fretboard, CAGED scales ? etc ]

I've owned a guitar for about 5 years.

I have learned a couple of songs by rote, practicing the tab until it stuck.

Initially I wasn't using chord shapes, but I try and do so now.

I've had lessons from two different teachers, I went weekly for about six months each time.

The problem that frustrates me is I feel I am just memorizing tab, my finger movement is improving and it's fun but
I don't actually think I'm learning, it's not much easier to learn a new song now than it was years ago.

I don't know many chord shapes, I don't know the notes on the fretboard. When i play the songs and blues licks I do know
I don't know what notes I'm playing.

Can anyone give me some advice on what to learn in what order, I am lost in a sea of options:

CAGED theory
Learn all open and bar chords
Learn all notes on the Frettboard
practice scales
Learn the Blues scale
Study the theory (guitarboat's book)
etc

If someone could simply say "learn 1, 2, 3 then 4" that would help.

Cheers
Sam

-

(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I'd say do a mix of various things. Say you have an hour to practice per day, maybe spend ten minutes on each "topic". I think David H posted somewhere on here yesterday about how it can seem overwhelming when there's lots of seemingly unrelated stuff to learn, but if you keep at it you'll find things start to click.

I'd get Noteboat's theory book. I haven't got a copy myself, but I find his posts on here very clear and informative, so expect the book to be the same. I did GCSE and A Level music, so I pretty much have a fair bit of theory (around grade 8 theory) covered from doing that. Most guitarists don't, but it is very useful in figuring out how to e.g. take a new chord you've learned in one song and apply it in other songs.

I would also prioritize learning the notes on the fretboard. Again, many guitarists don't do this enough (myself included, but I'm working on it). Again, it's useful for taking new material and applying it in other areas.

Learning chord shapes should (imho) be done while working through Noteboat's theory book and learning the notes on the fretboard. This way, you wont just be learning some shapes, you'll understand how those shapes are constructed and how they can be altered. So the two bits of practice given above will feed into this bit, and vice versa.

I'd also make sure it stays fun though. I can (to an extent) get "serious" and spend a few hours doing theory (oh god do I hate bass clef! OT) or scales or focusing on one specific technique. Right now, I've just spent a few days doing just right hand picking techniques and sight reading rhythm practice. Partly because I suck at both, partly also because I've got acute tendonitis in my fretting hand finger, so the only thing I can do with the guitar right now is practice right hand stuff. I want to play guitar enough to find something constructive to do in my practice time even when I'm not fully fit. If both hands were unusable for a few days, I'd spend "practice time" listening to music instead. But if you get bored doing "dry" exercises too much, as I know some do (and 'tis not a bad thing, just a different way of working), then I'd spend time working on learning songs too, or something else which you find fun. You can (again) reinforce the other stuff while doing this by e.g. working out what notes you're playing when you play your favourite riff, then finding a different place on the fretboard to play it. I do this a lot - I'm a big Hendrix fan, and he'd sometimes play a chord sequence slightly differently each time. As I know various of his tunes inside out, I can start off playing one and then keep going until I've exhausted the different ways of playing it.

But mostly, I find successful practice comes from being relaxed, aware, and having some fun. I can only spend an hour or so practicing sight reading because I can laugh at myself and how sucky I am whenever I screw up (v often). And when I do well, it's even more fun.

Also, I find it easier to learn tunes from tab/dots now than I did a few years back. But one thing has changed. Before I pick up my guitar or put on the cd, I read the damn paper. This might be blindingly obvious to everyone else, but putting my gung ho jump right in attitude on hold long enough to find out what would be required from me when tackling a new piece has resulted in me learning that piece much more quickly. (And having some theory knowledge can help here, at least psychologically - I feel comfortable with what is expected of me).

Some disjointed ramblings there. Hope some it helps.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

If i were put forward my suggestion it would be this - but i am self taught, so very probably have chosen the wrong route :D

1. learn the pentatonic scale all over the fretboard in one particular key
2. spend time improvising over a backing track to help embed this pattern in your mind.

once you have done this you will be able to improvise, and be able to see how the solo's and licks you already know have been put together, as you wil recognise how they fit into this pattern. This advice is very basic, and leaves a lot out - but it gives something to build on.

3. from that point you will want to look more into using chord tones, and alternative scales to the pentatonic, but steps 1-2 are a great quick start guide to improvising.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Music is about enjoyment and not all practice , exercises , scales , theory , etc.

You say you haven't concentrated on chord shapes alot . That would be my first suggestion . Learn chords in the open position and how they relate to each other . Keep in mind that millions of songs have been written using three chords or less . Play songs and sing and if you can't sing very well , sing anyway . You'll get better with practice . Start having some fun playing music .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

+1 to everyone LOL.

I think learning chord shapes is very important, you then start to recognize the shapes all over the tab and instead of saying something like, okay finger goes here on the 5th fret, here on the 4th then....etc, you can just look at it and say something like "oh, that's a C7 chord shape just starting on the 5th fret" and makes it much easier to get through.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote