Notifications
Clear all

In need of some guidance..

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@connorajsneddon)
Topic starter  

I have recently purchased an electric guitar, I'm very enthusiastic and committed to learning to play! I have decided to put in (presuming I receive proper guidance) about 2-4 hours a day. Even more once I have the a good solid foundation.

Obviously I have very, very little experience with the guitar so what I'm asking for is some guidance on where I should begin my learning process, whether it be Major or minor scales or chords ect.. I heard that learning the scales will give you a great foundation?

Any help considering this matter would be great! What I'm looking for is a short term plan on what I should begin learning, I'm not looking for anyone to suggest learning songs ect! I would like to learn guitar in an original fashion.

Thanks for reading,

Connor AJ Sneddon. :D

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

starting guitar one should learn the basics: open chords and smooth changes, names of the strings and what notes make up a chord, terminology is important ( what is a triad?) , proper posture and fingering is essential, and lastly, strumming and rhythm. I wouldn't worry about scales yet.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@connorajsneddon)
Topic starter  

Thank you for the reply mate,

I as I stated I have little experience in playing guitar, but I should have mentioned that I have the basics, strumming, finger placement ect!

Now that I have that down I'm looking to move on to learning a good foundation, in playing chords and scales ect.

So I would like to know where would be better starting.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

There are many good lessons in the main site. You could work on them. Many, many lessons are "song-based", I mean, you will practice some chords or strumming patterns or scales applied to that song.

As Dogbite said, I'd start with a good set of open chords and smooth changes between them.

Welcome to GN!

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

I'm not looking for anyone to suggest learning songs ect! I would like to learn guitar in an original fashion.

Thanks for reading,

Connor AJ Sneddon. :DExactly what is it you hope to accomplish if you don't learn songs ? I guess the other alternative would be to write your own music , but that would be like writing a book without learning how to read first . Good luck !

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@connorajsneddon)
Topic starter  

There are many good lessons in the main site. You could work on them. Many, many lessons are "song-based", I mean, you will practice some chords or strumming patterns or scales applied to that song.

As Dogbite said, I'd start with a good set of open chords and smooth changes between them.

Welcome to GN!

Thanks for replying,

The point I'm to put across is that I do have very little experience with guitars, yet over the last week or so since I have had my guitar! I have been practicing open chords and simple scales, I have a good idea of the fret board.

My changes are already at a decent standard! Therefore I want to star learning chords, scales ect to begin with. All I want to know is what sort of notes should I start learning first to build the best foundation possible?

And thank you for the welcome :)!

ReplyQuote
(@connorajsneddon)
Topic starter  

I'm not looking for anyone to suggest learning songs ect! I would like to learn guitar in an original fashion.

Thanks for reading,

Connor AJ Sneddon. :DExactly what is it you hope to accomplish if you don't learn songs ? I guess the other alternative would be to write your own music , but that would be like writing a book without learning how to read first . Good luck !

Thanks for the reply,

I hope to learn chords, scales and other guitar techniques, my friend is rather good on the acoustic and we were playing on starting a band once I can play to a decent standard. I know at some point I will have to learn some songs but I would rather leave learning songs until I have learned some of the basics! What I want to do Is learn chords, scale ect! And not just some, all of them! After doing that it will be an advantage down the line.

ReplyQuote
(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

Hi and welcome to the forum Connor. It sounds like you already have some chords under your belt. I don't know which ones they are but I would suggest learning all the open major, minor, dominant 7ths, minor 7ths, major 7th chords. Then I would move onto bar chords, again following the above major, minor etc. It sounds like you want to learn scales (not a bad thing in my experience) so I would begin to explore the major scale, minor pentatonic scale, natural minor scale in their 5 positions.

I would also recommend that you have a look at developing a good right hand technique with use of the plectrum and fingers. This would include you looking at different finger picking patterns to use with your chords.

Hope this helps in some way.

ReplyQuote
(@connorajsneddon)
Topic starter  

Hi and welcome to the forum Connor. It sounds like you already have some chords under your belt. I don't know which ones they are but I would suggest learning all the open major, minor, dominant 7ths, minor 7ths, major 7th chords. Then I would move onto bar chords, again following the above major, minor etc. It sounds like you want to learn scales (not a bad thing in my experience) so I would begin to explore the major scale, minor pentatonic scale, natural minor scale in their 5 positions.

I would also recommend that you have a look at developing a good right hand technique with use of the plectrum and fingers. This would include you looking at different finger picking patterns to use with your chords.

Hope this helps in some way.

Thanks for your reply,

This is exactly the sort of advice I had been looking for! I just didn't know where to begin as there is obviously so much to learn on the guitar, now I have a good idea and this should keep me going for a couple months!

I can't thank you enough.

ReplyQuote
(@mattstats09)

Learn power chords. Lots of fun songs are all power chords and if you can learn the key they are in all the better!!
Don't quit!

ReplyQuote