Notifications
Clear all

Instructional material

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@tvcasualty42)
Topic starter  

I just started playing guitar. I'm a drummer and percussionist, so I have a pretty good grasp of rhythm and meter. I'm self teaching at the moment. Are there any books or videos that anyone might suggest as good instructional or reference material? I've heard good things about the guitar grimoire series, but I don't want to burn myself out by jumping in too fast and getting frustrated. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Achieving life is not the equivalent of avoiding death.

-Ayn Rand

(@kblake)
Reputable Member

I have found "Blues You Can Use" by John Ganapes very good, there is also "More Blues You Can Use"
There are some lessons on his website http://www.bluesyoucanuse.com/index.html and also a link to a
BYCU forum where John answers questions directly.

Hope this helps.

Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@srmaximo)
Eminent Member

"Blues You Can Use" is great for learning electric blues.

My favorite books for a good overall foundation for playing guitar are the "Guitar From Scratch" books by Bruce Emery. You can order them off the Elderly Instruments website. Emery has a conversational writing style that I like, and he's great at guiding studetns step-by-step through the material.

The only drawback: He only uses royalty-free material. That means fragments of songs instead of showing you the whole thing. Also, he leans toward acoustic rock and folk music, so if you're a hard rocker, you might not connect.

Emery's books on music theory are great too--they're the "Music Principals for the Skeptical Guitarist" series.

Have fun,

Rob

Teach Guitar
Free Guitar Tabs
Strum Patterns

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Anything from the Hal Leonard line of instructional material. Especially the Fast Track series, which they have for Introduction to Guitar, Rock, Blues, Metal, etc... Each has a beginner, intermediate, and advance version, which is cool

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I know it's not a book, but have you looked at the Guitar Noise lessons?
They're very good, and the price is certainly right.

Other than that, I second the recommendation of the "Hal Leonard" books. I've learned quite a bit from them.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@tvcasualty42)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the input! I have several drum books published by Hal Leonard. I'll have to check out the guitar stuff.

Achieving life is not the equivalent of avoiding death.

-Ayn Rand

ReplyQuote