Clear all

Instuctional Book

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, I'm new to the forums. I've played guitar for awhile. A few years ago I started playing and was terrible i barely could play power chords effectively so i quit. Like 2 years later my friend was learning guitar so i started playing his once in awhile and could finally play some songs and continued to play on his guitar for a few months every chance i got.

Anyways I ended up buying a new guitar because the one i played years ago is junk and ive been practicing for for a few hours a day the last few weeks. I'm definatly not beginner-beginner as i dont have trouble with things like chord changes and other basic technique. Lately Ive been trying to learn some scales and I really want to improve speed and strengthen my hands especially the pinky.

Basically my question is what are some good books for learn from i really wanna buy "Speed Mechanics for the Lead Guitar" but i am worried that it is beyond my skill level any input would be appeciated.............

Sorry for length

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i'm not the one to ask about lesson books but i am sure several others will be soon to chime in with some good sources.
just wanted to Welcome you to GN.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

cool........ but ya any book suggestion are good i mean i wanna play all sorts of music but i figure some shredding is a good place to start

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

cmon fellas im going to barnes and noble tommorow so help me out

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I wouldn't go for that book, as a starter learning tool. The title suggests that it is aimed at intermediate players, who wish to improve speed. I would get someting that will get you to that intermediate level.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@lucam)
Eminent Member

I had a look at the book some time ago and if I remember well, it is an endless collection of chromotic exercises.
In my personal opinion it is useless for a beginner and for an experienced player too. Those technique exercises could be easily put down by yourself, and there is no need to have them in tab format.
I'd suggest to spend your time on the beginner songs of this wonderful site.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

It is the book for developing your shredding, but it's not for everybody.

Scales themselves are scarily boring; I'd suggest getting a decent book on music theory so you know why things workand just concentrate on sounding good by playing as much material as you can get hold of

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Noteboat's book is a good one for theory... and basics -

https://www.guitarnoise.com/reviews/music-theory-for-guitarists/

And since you are a GN reader , you may have free shipping.

Good Luck playing ,

And welcome to the refuge for tired and overgassed guitarists... :wink: ,

Rahul

And here's the amazon link - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0972472304/ref=cm_aya_asin.title/104-8942250-4057550?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

Hi, I would suggest you to get Troy's Metal Lead Vol 1 instead. It is in the same format as Speed Mechanics, with tons of excercises for the left and the right hand. I started with Metal Lead about 2 weeks ago and can already see improvements in my lead playing.

I also bought the Speed mechanics but I immediately realized that I am not ready for it yet.

BTW, B&N doesnt carry any of Troy's books (atleast the ones in Manhatten didnt), I got mine from amazon.

Cheers
Vic

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote