Clear all

Intense string buzz

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Okay, so before I had a bit of string buzz on frets 12 and below, but none of it was to bad. I asked my guitar teacher about it and he knocked the fret down a little with some sort of fret hammer, everything was fine. Afterwards I changed the strings and everything, now I have even MORE string buzz. I have buzz on multiple frets and its just not a little buzz. It keeps the notes from playing completely. My first thought was that the strings need to be raised a little or something...what do you guys think? :?:

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Either the strings aren't seated in the bridge correctly and/or you changed the string gauge to a ligher string.

Or... you may have lowered the bridge down a bit when changing strings if you have an LP type bridge.

So to know for sure.... a question for you. What kind of guitar are we talking about?

Also make sure your tension is right.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have a epiphone G-310 and I did change the strings to a lower gauge because at the time, they had run out of medium gauge strings. Now the whole guitar seems off

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Ok so yeah you have an LP style bridge, so lets try and adjust your bridge first so we'll RAISE it up just a little bit.

Loosen your strings a bit, just so they're slack. Then turn those thumb screws on each side of your bridge counter clockwise raising your bridge.

Start with 1 full turn at a time on each side maybe even only a half turn on the treble string side, it doesn't take much.
Then Retune and see if the buzzing is gone. If not REPEAT!

Loose strings, another twist counter clockwise remember only one full revolution at time, retune then try it.

Once you get it not to buzz. See how your action is. If its a bit too high, lower your bridge by a 1/4 turn at time.

Its a pain, but it takes a while to find that sweet spot.

If a bridge adjustment doesn't solve it, you'll need to take it in and a pro do a SET-UP again on your guitar.

Just a note.. Reason is, lighter strings don't require as much tension likewise with heavier strings, they take more tension to get into tune. And because you went lighter, the lessor tension lowered your action way too much, if you went the other way and got heavier strings, just the opposite may happen, your action would be too high. Its usually recommended that you pick a string gauge and stick with it.

Personally I prefer 10's on all my electrics and lights on my Accoustics.

Its amazing how fine a little thing like that can throw off your instrument, just goes to show how well made and tuned these things are.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks alot for your help Dagwood. :)

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Did the bridge adjustment work out?

ReplyQuote
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

It worked well on some of the higher frets, although I am still getting a bit of a buz around 18 or so...I am still working on it.

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Loosen the truss rod about an 1/8 of a turn. lighter strings will cause the neck to bow backwards just a tad. When ever you change string size you have to re-setup the guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

BE CAREFUL if you are going to adjust the truss rod, Audio Boy. That is an adjustment best left to a guitar tech (or your guitar teacher) if you have never done it before. My guitar teacher (also a tech) showed me how to adjust the truss rod, before I would attempt it myself. You can do a lot of damage if you don't know what you are doing. But, once you learn, it isn't that hard to adjust yourself.

Here is a pretty good article, which explains how to adjust an acoustic. The procedure is pretty much the same for an electric:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenSetup/TrussRods/TrussRodAdj/tradj.html

ReplyQuote