Clear all

interesitng chord variation

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@plakerl)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have just decided to move to a new teacher in the area and so far so good. However, I have an immediate question on some of his chord diagrams.(fingerings) The chords are for C7 and D7 and unlike the traditional I have learned to date. Here they are.

C7

E-high X
B- I first fret(mutes E above)
G- P 3rd fret
D-M 2 fret
A-X
E -R R 3rd fret(mutes A above)

D7

Just move above chord to begin on third fret

The goal of his was to produce the chord progression for Blues tunes. Sorry for the confusion, if any, with my fingering description.

(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Sounds good to me - only I don't mute the top & bottom E's till I move the chord up to the next position. You've already got an 'E' on the 4th string, so the ones above & below are not affecting the notes of the chord at all, just fattening the sound.

Of course you can hold the same shape and move it up to the 5th fret, where it becomes a very handy E7, to partner the A7 barre on the 5th and the B7 barre on the 7th. But maybe I'm jumping ahead of your lessons :? Sorry!

I can see what your teacher is aiming for, which is to get away from the 'folksy' sound you can get with the open D7, and introduce the very useful idea of moving chord shapes up the neck rather than refingering in the same position. Assuming these two chords he's showing you are the IV and V of a G major blues, which G is he using? The barre at the 3rd (which I'd use instinctively with those 2 chords) or the open one?

ReplyQuote
(@plakerl)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

PVTele,

Thanks a bunch. This was my first lesson with this teacher and need to get used to his approach compared to my last instructor. This one seems a heck more knowledgeable. At this point all i wanted to do is assure that the fingering sounded accurate. It certainly is new to me.

Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

That's a standard voicing in jazz - I think it's shown in Mel Bay's "Rhythm Chord System" (which was written in the 1940s)

Everything old is new again :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote