Notifications
Clear all

intervals

21 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@mrjazzclassicalmetalshred)
Trusted Member

Wow, he actually explained something I thought was complicated in a way I could understand! I'm going to get some money in my paypal account and buy that book.

Album progress:15%

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Is the formula for major pentatonic, minor pentatonic etc mentioned by painthorses solid?

Sort of.

The pentatonic he showed is the minor pentatonic. The major pentatonic (same notes, different tonic) is 1-2-4-5-6.

The minor he showed is a little off. There are three minor scales:

the natural minor, 1-2-b3-4-5-b6-b7
the harmonic minor, 1-2-b3-4-5-b6-7
the melodic minor, which is different going up from coming down. Going up, it's 1-2-b3-4-5-6-7... coming down it's the same as the natural minor.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@painthorses)
Eminent Member

Tom, I didnt show any scales. I had asked if the scale formulas I mentioned were correct formulas for major and minor pentatonics and just the minor scale. Please correct me if their wrong. :D

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, Jim had asked if the formulas you'd shown were right. Major was right, of course, and the minor pentatonic... but the minor scale you showed isn't any of the three minor scales.

You'd posted: "Minor: 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7"

If you lower the 6, you'd have the natural minor (the Aeolian) with 1-2-b3-4-5-b6-b7. If you raise the 7th, you'd have the ascending melodic minor with 1-2-b3-4-5-6-7... so you were sort of in-between two of the minor scales.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@mr_bungalow)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I just wanted to say that I love you guys. You always take the time to answer even what appears to be the stupidist questions. Then you take things a step further with your questions.

anways, thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Check out some theory articles on guitarnoise only , in the lessons section of music and chord theory

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2