Clear all

Iron & Wine

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@arfinwulf)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I bought Iron & Wine's "Endless Numbered Days" and was just blown away by Sam Beam's music--if I can learn to play even a few of these songs competantly well (nevermind the singing part--I'll worry about that later) I'd be a happy fella. This being said--any fellow fans know of similiar acoustic guitar music to suggest I add to my list?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Arfinwulf, the humble beginner.

Namaste.

(@pamparius)
Estimable Member

How about some of Jack Johnson's new songs..? "Sitting, waithing, wishing", "Better together" or "Good people".. Love the acoustic feel of those songs.

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

ReplyQuote
(@hawken)
Trusted Member

Welcome to GN Arfinwulf...I'm also a big I&W fan. I've seen Sam Beam twice, he's great live.

Here's what I hear for "Passing Afternoon", I don't have the picking tabed out but these are the chords. Main trick here is that he uses a capo on the second fret, saw him using one when he played this tune at IOTA in Arlington, VA.

So use the open versions of the chords listed below with a capo on 2nd fret (this will basically mean when you play them they'll be a step up, C=D)

[C]There are times that walk from [D] you, like some [G] passing afternoon[C]
[G]Summer warmed the [D] open window [C] of her honeymoon [D]

repeat that progression throughout....on the initial C I'll use a C7 because I feel the C,D,C,D transition that happens sounds a bit repetitive.

If you like I&W I suggest that you check out Matt Ward...here's a link to a few live tunes of his that you can download. Enjoy!

http://kexp.org/aspnet_client/KEXPViewMediaGroup.aspx?rID=2545&pID=528&fID=1085&date=1085

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I must admit, I'm quite a fan of his brother, Jim.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I must admit, I'm quite a fan of his brother, Jim.

Leave it to Graham to hit it right on the head... aye.

Back to topic, you could also check out a little bit of Ben Harper. He does some electric stuff too (which I really like) but some of his acoustic based stuff is awesome. I'm listeing to "Live from Mars" right now, and I'm going to have to learn "The Woman in you".

Check it out.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@alasken)
Eminent Member

Such Great Heights is awesome to play, but not very hard at all. Check it out.

ReplyQuote
(@olive)
Estimable Member

I second the M. Ward suggestion. I really like his newest album, Transisitor Radio.

You might also like Mason Jennings.

And if you're feeling a bit adventurous, take a listen to The Mountain Goats.

Finally, I highly recommend I&W's EP, Woman King.

"My ex-boyfriend can't tell me I've sold out, because he's in a cult, and he's not allowed to talk to me." --Dar Williams

ReplyQuote
(@arfinwulf)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys!

Cheers,
Arfinwulf.

Namaste.

ReplyQuote