Skip to content
is 15 watts on a gu...

Notifications
Clear all

is 15 watts on a guitar amp enough to play to myself?

12 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@fishtacos)
Topic starter  

is 15 watts on a guitar amp enough power to play to myself in my room?

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Yes. You'll be fine with a 15w amp.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I play a 5W and it is more than enough for me.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@bigh29)
Eminent Member

is 15 watts on a guitar amp enough power to play to myself in my room?

I think it is way more than enough. I wouldn't be surprised if you never turn the volume past 4 (on a scale of 10). Two of the hottest selling amps right now are the 2W Roland Micro Cube and the 5 W Vox DA5 practice amps. My son has a micro cube, and I use the vox. Both have adequate power for practicing alone.

H

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

How big is your room ? Just joking . It's enough and then some , unless your intention is to remove the wallpaper from your room .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I agree with everyone else. I'd still play with my 10 from the old starter kit if it didn't sound horrible.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Most "starter packs" come with a 10 or 15W practise amp - Squier Strat pack, for example, comes with a Fender Frontman 15W amp. 15W is more than enough for a small room - hell, 15W is enough to play loud in medium-sized pub!

My main amp used to be a 15W cube amp - never had the volume much above #2. I've recently upgraded to a Cube30W - not because it's bigger, but because it's better. You won't find a lot of features on the smaller amps - there's no reverb, for example, on a 15W cube amp, although I believe there is on a smaller Micro-cube.

The 30W cube amp has a feature called "power squeeze" which means you can crank the amp to get that classic tube sound, but the output is limited to 2W. I've tried it and and 2W is more than sufficient for a smallish room.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

I have a 10watt amp, and never turn the volume up past 4 (maybe 5 if I'm REALLY feeling rock n roll :lol: )

5 watt will be fine for one room, no worries there.

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I have a Marshall MG15, 15 watts, it is solid state. I usually play with the volume between 2 and 3 (max. 10) in the clean channel. The distorted channel can be louder.

Currently I'm looking for a 2-5 watts amp. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

in a word "yes"

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I have a 15 watt bass amp and it suits me just fine! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

15 is plenty, you may find that you'll have to use earphones at night to keep the neighbors from complaining :wink:

ReplyQuote