Clear all

Is a pick reeeeeally necessary?

33 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have been learning to play on an accoustic/electric guitar for about 3 months now and I am really not liking using a pick. I do much better with everything I try just using my fingers. It just seems like too much to keep track of what with putting my fingers on the right frets and then worrying about which strings to hit with the pick. When I use my fingers, it's like I already know where the strings are, like I can feel the song better if that makes any sense. Anyway, I was wondering if it is absolutely necessary to use a pick at this point.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

I have a friend that never uses a pick, he can't stand them and tares it up with the best of them. So, I would say no, you don't need to use one if you don't want to.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

A pick is simply a tool that you can choose to use. Or choose not to use. There are a number of guitarists who don't use picks (Mark Knopfler and Jeff Beck come immediately to mind).

That being said, though, it doesn't hurt to be able to do both. Work on it as you see fit.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

There is absolutely no need for a pick. Ask Wes Montgommery, Joe Pass, Jeff Beck ect...Its all about the tone you want and the kind of playing you want to do.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I agree with Sin City Sid. You certainly don't need one and if you haven't used one and play fluently, don't start now...LOL.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I can't imagine playing on steel strings without cutting my fingers by strumming hard, if not done with a pick.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

you can play hard without a pick, rahul. you can use your fingernails in a flicking motion like a spanish guitar, you can dig in deep with your thumb pad, you can use a combination of thumb and fingers in the same rhythm... or you can just not mind a little blood around your nails.

ReplyQuote
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member

I don't think a pick is necessary at all. I guess it just depends on what type of sound you're looking to get. Fingerpicking gives it a warmer, smoother feel, whereas a pick gives you a more crisp sound. 8)

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan
...well I could be your friend- RHCP

ReplyQuote
(@number6)
Estimable Member

I think playing with the fingers is more fun, and that a pick is somewhat limiting (though I'm not sure if you can tremolo pick with your fingers...).

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Saw Jeff Beck this week in Denver. While he didn't use a pick MOST of the time, he did use one on several songs. As said, above, it is a matter of preference for the guitarist and how he/she wants to sound.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Another great player who does not use a pick is Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac. He primarily uses all downstrokes and uses his nails. He's a great player.

For years I did not use a pick because I had so much trouble holding one. I used my index finger like a pick though. I would support my index with my thumb, so if you looked at me you would have thought I was using a pick, but I was not.

It is really hard on your fingertip. Mine used to get really sore, even bled once or twice. But after awhile I had a good callous on my finger and could play all day like this.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Glee
(@glee)
Estimable Member

this is the pick i use, dont know if you know about them, some people do some don't hope it helps.

Tim

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

i'd say that 3 months of playing is a bit erly to decide that a pick is not necessary - there are some great players playing without one, but there's also examples of player using just a few fingers (django) etc.
I understand your frustration - I struggled for years with using a pick. No it's become natural for some of my playing whereas I use fingers only for other types - early Dylan etc. You need to put some effort in - practice alternate picking - up and down and up and down and up and down...

Good luck
LaRS

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@roscoegino)
Eminent Member

It seems to me that fingerpicking is good on a guitar that really brings out the sound. If it's not a solid top, fingerpicking doesn't sound all that great.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Do what ever feels comfortable, there are some styles that require a pick( Flat picking, bluegrass) But as stated already, Lots of players don't use them :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3