Clear all

Is finger picking harder?

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rubburduckie)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Is finger picking harder than strumming? I am going to learn "keith urban You'll Think Of Me" and its fingerpicking and im a little scared lol looks like it would be harder but i find I strum better without a pick just doesnt sound right... so I think it might be easier?

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It's not 'harder', just different.

In some situations I find fingerpicking easier. Take a tune like Springsteen's "I'm on Fire". I learned that flatpicking, but because the pattern is identical over every chord, I'm more comfortable playing it fingerpicked. You get to be almost robotic at stuff like that fingerpicked, but with a flatpick you're skipping strings constantly - so there's more chance for error.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

It's not 'harder', just different.

In some situations I find fingerpicking easier. Take a tune like Springsteen's "I'm on Fire". I learned that flatpicking, but because the pattern is identical over every chord, I'm more comfortable playing it fingerpicked. You get to be almost robotic at stuff like that fingerpicked, but with a flatpick you're skipping strings constantly - so there's more chance for error.

What he said. To add my own shtick, it's a lot harder to finger pick if you've been flat picking for a long time, so when you're starting out you should, in my opinion, do a bit of both.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member

I have the opposite problem. My flatpicking kind of sucks because I do mostly fingerpicking. Even on electric. So, that's something I probably should work on.

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

i find finger picking really akward i guess it depends on what ur usted

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Well , i only fingerpick on my classical guitar and use all the hand techniques to play.

I am till now pickless and pickfree :wink:

Rahul

(and yes fingerpicking is dirt easy...its the easiest thing that can happen to you on the guitar !)

ReplyQuote
(@rubburduckie)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice :)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hey rubberduckie , i am sure you will make it in sometime.

Btw is the guitar in your avatar a Washburn ?

ReplyQuote
(@rubburduckie)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey rubberduckie , i am sure you will make it in sometime.

Btw is the guitar in your avatar a Washburn ?

Art & Lutherie http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/

ReplyQuote