Is my electric a 3/4 or 4/4?

16 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi all.

I know this may seem an odd question (and a little bit late asking) but I got offered a very nice 6 month old Gibson Baldwin electric guitar in perfect condition. I was told it was a full size....

Now, as a relative beginner and only bought my acoustic mail order, I haven't been around any shops to see exactly how big an electric guitar is, or can be. This one just seem, well, small... :roll:

It has 22 frets and the whole thing is roughly 101cm tall - it's funny but it seems small but it's blinkin' heavy after only handling an acoustic.

If it's a 3/4 then I'll sell it again - hey, I only paid £50 for it with an amp so I'm not in for much...

Thanks and...

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Measure the distance from the nut to the bridge. Full size guitars run between 24-1/2 and 25-3/4 depending on the maker (most are 24.75 or 25.5); 3/4 size guitars are about 22 to 23 inches.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Measure the distance from the nut to the bridge. Full size guitars run between 24-1/2 and 25-3/4 depending on the maker (most are 24.75 or 25.5); 3/4 size guitars are about 22 to 23 inches.

Thanks for the quick response - this one is 24.75 so it's a sorta teenager rather than an adult, but at least it's not a baby.

I'll just have to get used to playing it, but I really fancy an Epiphone... :wink:

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

24.75 is the length of the Les Paul guitars. If your Gibson Baldwin is a Les Paul or SG models, it will be 24.75.

I think all the Gibson guitars use that scale, so all the Gibson "copies" (Baldwin, Epiphone, etc.) are 24.75, too.

So, it is an "Gibson adult" :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

this one is 24.75 so it's a sorta teenager rather than an adult, but at least it's not a baby.

I'll just have to get used to playing it, but I really fancy an Epiphone

Epiphones use a 24.75" scale length - so I think you'd better get used to it either way! :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Either way you got a gibson for 50, I think that I would hold on to it no matter what the size was.

Nice pickup!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

It doesn't matter what size it is, it's how you use it. :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've been struggling mightily not to point out that my guitars can play in either 3/4 or 4/4.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

24 3/4" scale is the norm for a Gibson instrument. Fenders are generally 25 1/2" ... there are exceptions. Your guitar is all grown up. Dylan, where do you live? By the cm reference I'd say Europe? I'm wondering if that is a name brand they are using there. Here we have Gibson Maestro guitars and they are low end ..... that seems about right for the price.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I've been struggling mightily not to point out that my guitars can play in either 3/4 or 4/4.

Groan.

Your guitars can play?

Wow.

Mine are lazy - I have to play mine

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I'm wondering if that is a name brand they are using there. Here we have Gibson Maestro guitars and they are low end ..... that seems about right for the price.

Hey, yeh, definitely a low end, but it's a lovely instrument - I think it cost about £150 new with amplifier, but it's immaculate so I'm pleased with the purchase - and yes, UK and Portugal.... 8)
I'll post a vid soon so everyone can see my new purchase, although I think I've sold it already... :cry:

I'll drink to that!

Rock on!

D 8)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I think this sentence is universal!
:lol:

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I hear you Dylan ...... they are nice looking instruments, least if they are the same as the Maestro line I can attest to it. I almost bought a Gibson/Maestro Les Paul Junior. It was purple and looked cool.

Note the Gibson headstock ... apparently they won't sue themselves. :lol:

Hey ... I found this little blurb online ..... I guess they are the same.
Gibson Baldwin is an educational series Les Paul Style Guitar. They have some budget features hence the low price, for example "bolt-on neck" instead of "set-in neck". Interestingly, they have the trademark Gibson "Open-book" Headstock design. Usually this design is reserved for Gibson USA models. Not even the Gibson Epiphone series has this style headstock. Made in China however Chinese instruments are gaining a positive reputation, quality from China is improving rapidly and the Gibson Baldwin is good value for the money.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Your guitars can play?

Wow.

Mine are lazy - I have to play mine

A :-)You must not have bought the Milli Vanilli & Ashley Simpson signature models.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2