Skip to content
Is this a decent st...

Notifications
Clear all

Is this a decent starter pack for lefties on a budget?

25 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@goat-punishment)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Left handed kit on Ebay

This is from an ebay store, so it's not an actual auction. Anyway, I'm left handed and would like to learn to play guitar. I've decided to learn to play left handed as well. However, money is tight right now so I can't really afford to get higher quality stuff, so I was wondering if you guys think this pack is adequate for a pure beginner that doesn't have alot of money to spend or if you have another recommendation. I'd prefer not to spend much more than $250.

(@goat-punishment)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

And I know you guys are probably cringing at that bundle, hehe.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Everyone has to start somewhere. I don't see anything wrong with it looks like a good deal. Comes with things you'll need to start playing. Other than the strings will more than likely leave a lot to be desired. They don't seem to put very good strings on them from the factory. I played on a setup similar to that my niece received for Christmas last year, with a little dialing of the amp I was able to get AC/DC to Eagles out of it.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

How did you guess? :D
Actually, the guitar is probably fine, but I'm worried about the amp.
Have a look at Rondo music
http://www.rondomusic.net/sst62lh.html
and a small Behringer amp
http://www.music123.com/Guitar-Amps-Behringer-p2134773645d114.music?o=price
Joe's right though, that starter pack would work.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@mr_clean001)
Estimable Member

I agree with Primeta...the amp gives me pause. Otherwise though you have to start somewhere just as long as you start! In time, probably sooner rather than later, you will get a bad jones for more gear - a new guitar, a better case, more books, whatever. Hobbies like this have a low cost to entry (relatively speaking) but the jones kicks in and all of a sudden two meals a day seems like more than enough if it means you can get more cool gear.

MrClean

"Practice until you get a guitar welt on your chest...if it makes you
feel good, don't stop until you see the blood from your fingers.
Then you'll know you're on to something!"
- Ted Nugent

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

two meals a day seems like more than enough if it means you can get more cool gear.

MrClean
Man, you eat 2 meals a day. I am gonna have to get another job :twisted: :lol:

Oh yeah, I hear it is a decent starter pack but the amp is a little trebley with not much bass.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Hey I started with the Behringer V-Tone pack for $99...with new strings and a setup it didn't sound half bad!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Take this with a grain of salt please.
I know nothing about the newer johnsons, that said I have an older Johnson that I picked up for cheap.
It is a piece of junk!!
Crappy tuners, Crappy bridge, terrible pickups and the finish on the neck (I mean the contour of the wood) is rough and uneven.
The johnson I have would give an Estaban a run for it's money.
Again the quality of the newer Johnsons may be quite different.

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

Learn how to play a right-handed guitar so that when u see one at a friends house u can pick it up and play it :)

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@goat-punishment)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

How bout this one?

http://www.rondomusic.net/gg1stdboleft.html

It has humbucker pickups...they are alot better to have than single coil, right?

ReplyQuote
(@goat-punishment)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

And this amp?

http://www.music123.com/Behringer-AC108-i156889.music

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

HI

Like the Johnson my self , like what has already been said about the amp it is true but my first elecric kit cost about $25.00 back when Noah was building his ark , as long as the guitar strings are not too far away from the fret board and it has a decent sound go for it . Before you buy one on the net go to a store and look at the same guitar and see if you personally like it , if not don't buy it . Why buy something that your not in love with and can do what you expect .

that's my 5 cenets worth :wink:

Cheers

L.K :arrow:

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Single coils aren't better or worse then humbuckers, just different. Humbuckers will be smoother/muddier, fatter and thicker. And less noisy. I haven't tried the AC108, very interested in how it sounds. I did had the GX108 and GM108 and the latter was obviously better. A *very* good entry-level guitar is the Dean Evo XM for $99 , LP style flat body, two buckers, no further extra frills. If they have it left-handed pick it up with the GM110 amp and maybe a reverb pedal. That should set you up real darn nice.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Try this

http://www.music123.com/Peavey-Predator-Plus-EXP-LH-i249934.music

B Stock at Music123 means it looks like your average guitar you'd buy from any music store. It might have a minor ding on it somewhere. It isn't a second. You still get the same warranty and you still can return it to them for a full refund.

and add this:

http://www.music123.com/Randall-RG15XM-i57719.music

I think you'd be much happier with those at $250 then you would with the other stuff at $170

ReplyQuote
(@goat-punishment)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Wow, nice find there.

Those seem really geared toward hard rock/metal, which is good, but I'd like to play softer stuff as well...will those be suitable enough for that too?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2