Notifications
Clear all

Is This Bad?

21 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

What Arjen said, to the very last letter.

The 'sometimes' in my case is when I'm wanting to sing somethign as well. If the rhythm is too complex, I can't do both, so sometimes I'll simplify the guitar and concentrate on the singing.

Otherwise, I'll learn it the easy way and then slowly build up the complexity, or put that song on the back burner (I have a list about a mile long of specific songs I want to try out, setting one aside for the time being is not a problem as long as I've always got a few on the go that are pushing my limits :wink:)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

I have to admit I cringed quite badly when I saw that tab of the open chords being substituted out. I'm not much of a power chord man myself but surely not playing any open chords has got to be a huge disavantage in many genres of guitar music?

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I do it because of "economy of motion" in my fretting hand, I don't have to change my hand shape, just move my hand up and down the neck.

:D
I was watching a John Fogerty in Concert DVD the other night. Now, people will tell you he only played Born on the Bayou in open position or it has to start on a 5th position E7...but the truth was he played the same series of stuff all over the fretboard. All so he could form the little fills and runs he wanted to do with an "economy of motion".

Don

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all.

I actually did it because it's easier but then did it because it sounds cool. The original is an acoustic song but the power chords were kinda bland on an acoustic. So I played them on an electric with distortion, sounded way cooler.

In all honesty, I can't remember any time I sat and did deliberate practice. The more I play chords or use techniques in songs, the better I get at them. My teacher pushed me to do that. Like for A shaped barre chords. What I intend to play is x13331 what actually ended up being playined in the lesson was x133xx. But my teacher said to just keep barring them and playing the chord like a power chord and the full chord would come as my fingers get stronger. Still don't have the high e string, but I can do the major chord now.

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

I do it because of "economy of motion" in my fretting hand, I don't have to change my hand shape, just move my hand up and down the neck.

:D
I was watching a John Fogerty in Concert DVD the other night. Now, people will tell you he only played Born on the Bayou in open position or it has to start on a 5th position E7...but the truth was he played the same series of stuff all over the fretboard. All so he could form the little fills and runs he wanted to do with an "economy of motion".

Actually, if you take an open C7th chord and slide it up to the fifth fret that gives you the beginning of the song! It don't get much easier than that!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I've decided to do both versions. I'll do the original on acoustic and my version on electric. If I ever manage to play the opening lick without messing up, I'll post them. Thank you for your help.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2