Clear all

Is this possibly a technique issue?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@blackenedanger)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Ok. So for instance I'm trying to play the intro to Metallica's "One".

All it is really is holding a 5th interval on the A string and D string at 2nd and 4th fret. You also have your middle finger at the third fret on the low E.

Here's the problem. To play the lick correctly you have to hit the G string open. When I'm playing this trying to hit certain strings the fingers on my fret hand are slightly muting the string I'm needing to strike, not on purpose so it deadens the sound.

The same goes when I'm trying to play "Fade To Black" from Metallica, which is similar in that it's holding that same 5th interval.

I seem to have this problem anytime I play arpeggios....

So I'm wondering what the problem is. Is it technique?

When I'm holding 5ths, or power chords I generally have my thumb pressing the back of the neck around the middle. I've seen people with their thumb over the neck, but I can't get my fingers to stretch far enough when I do this.....

"Into ruin, I am sinking, hostage of this nameless feeling!" - MetallicA

(@rtb_chris)
Eminent Member

I'd say it's more a matter of posture, which of course will affect your technique. It sounds to me like you need to focus on keeping your fret hand fingers arched, and playing on your fingertips as much as possible. When you hold a note down, your finger should contact the string while at a 90 degree angle (a right angle) to the plane of the neck (in other words, perpendicular). There are exceptions, of course, but your basic fundamental hand posture should be one that allows you to play on your fingertips, not the pads.

Hope that helps. :)

http://www.raisingthebarre.com

ReplyQuote
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member

blackenedanger wrote:

I'd say it's more a matter of posture, which of course will affect your technique. It sounds to me like you need to focus on keeping your fret hand fingers arched, and playing on your fingertips as much as possible. When you hold a note down, your finger should contact the string while at a 90 degree angle (a right angle) to the plane of the neck (in other words, perpendicular). There are exceptions, of course, but your basic fundamental hand posture should be one that allows you to play on your fingertips, not the pads.

Hope that helps.

What he said:

"The answer is practice.
Now, what's the question?"
Words by David Mead.

ReplyQuote