Skip to content
It's taking HOW LON...

Notifications
Clear all

It's taking HOW LONG to learn the guitar....

24 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@peejay)
Estimable Member

That's not my video, just the sound clip above it. :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I did think twice about posting them on this forum because I thought people might think it a bit self-promoting (maybe some of you do?)

There is absolutely nothing wrong in a musician having a dash of 'self promotion' in their make-up. In fact it's pretty much essential if you ever want to take your instrument out of the bedroom and into the wider world. You've taken a bold and important step by saying "here I am - it's not perfect but take me as you find me and get what enjoyment you can out it." Some of us take a looooong time before anybody is allowed to see or hear anything we attempt...

You've also ensured that people here know who you are now. So next time you post some lyrics you should get much more feedback. Not only do we now know Dylan Barrett, but we have a context to place your song in - we know a lot more about your general age, playing standard, attitude, etc. This makes it much easier to make comments without thinking that we'll be treading on your toes, missing the mark, or whatever. 8)

Chris - the left/right-handed thing was basically deciding which way I should learn to play. I got on the phone to my friend Chris (an accomplished guitar player - who, unfortunately lives a plane journey away in France) and he reckoned that even though I'm left-handed, I should learn right-handed because most of the lessons, etc are in right-handed, and it could work to my advantage anyway - so that's what I did...didn't have to change the strings over either - have a look on the forum for the problems people seem to have with strings - didn't want to touch them!

That's what confused me. You're saying that you decided to play right handed. And in the first video you also said "I've been told that it will be easier to learn to play with my right hand, or to play right handed.... rather than left handed"....

But what the videos show is you playing left handed, on a normal left handed guitar??? (With guitar playing 'left handed' or 'right handed' refers to the hand strumming the strings, not the one on the fretboard). You're strumming with your left hand, and the pickguard position on the guitar shows that it's a left-hander, not a regular model turned upside down. This is more obvious in the 2nd video where the pickguard can be seen more clearly - it's on the left.

There are various ways to get round the 'left-handed' thing - some lefties just learn to strum with their right hand and fret with the right - like us right handers do. Some buy a regular right handed guitar and play it 'upside down' (like Jimi Hendrix did) and either change the strings or adapt their own playing style. This is often done because right handed guitars are much more common, and some lefties find it more convenient to adapt to what's generally available rather than have to chase down left handed versions (which can be hard with some makes or models). And some just buy a left handed guitar (most shops stock one or two left handed models, but don't give you much choice).

Great project.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

So, directly inspired by Dylan's video, here's what I've got so far:

How do you record? Is it just with a mic into the PC? I'm getting keen to hear myself play (ha ... well I call it playing :) ).

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@peejay)
Estimable Member

I record like this:

Guitar --> Bass amp input
Bass amp preamp out --> computer line in

and Audacity for simple recording, Kristal for multi-track recording.

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi Guys and Gals

Now listen to me... I don't want any of you slacking on your progressive chord lessons and have a bit of fun learning classic tunes from yesteryear.....

Oh well, go on then - thanks Peejay for your rendition - sounds pretty damn good to me and you are using all the picking notes as well - I gave up with them and missed out the last three (but I reckon it still sounded similar). I like your video lesson you found and I'm going to cross-reference it with the one I'm using:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NggF9RzA8p0

Dalron - You'll have a laugh when I tell you that I bought a Macally iceCam off ebay for about £12 - got a CD with some software that allows me to record sound a vid - I'm using a Mac so I edit the recordings in iMovie and convert it via QuickTime 'Professional'...Hmmmm. I record the sound using an old microphone from a mobile phone plugged into the system and either hang it around my neck or sellotape it to the outside of the guitar...I kid you not....

That's why the vid and sound is...well... retro....like an original recording found in a wastebin. I'm intending to get a decent camcorder and mic eventually, but not at the moment....

Chris - I fret with my left hand and strum with my right.... I'm pretty happy with it now. I'll move onto my teeth when I get my Fender Strat!

Right....I'm going to spend half an hour a day learning the correct fingering for Dust in the Wind and let you have another listen, say, next Sunday....Arghhhhhhhh - why do I do this.... :shock:

Cheers,
Dylan

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Chris - I fret with my left hand and strum with my right....

So why do the videos show the opposite?

In all the ones I looked at you're strumming with your left hand and playing a left handed guitar. I just checked again, on the one that I've downloaded to my hard drive, and there's no questions about it - it shows a lefty.

If you're doing the opposite then you must have flipped the image on the film. Why? Is that part of the joke?

Cheers

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Keep playin'...keep it up Barrett!!! All of a sudden you'll be a shtar!!

ReplyQuote
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member

If you're doing the opposite then you must have flipped the image on the film. Why? Is that part of the joke?

I remember when I first got my webcam I always got a 'mirror' image until I finally managed to set it up right. Even now, don't ask me why, every so often it defaults back to the mirror image. I think Dylan said he was using a webcam to film himself, so that could explain it.

That, or he doesn't know his left from right :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Thanks Isabelle. :)

I thought that it must be some sort of software issue - either wrong setup, an unlucky click of a button, or else he was just playing around with an image flip function. But if he really didn't noticed that he's posted 4 videos with himself reversed every time, then your second explanation looks like it might be true too... :wink:

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2