Skip to content
I've been getting m...

Notifications
Clear all

I've been getting my Guitar Wet w/out even knowing it!

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@tyler-n)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have a new acoustic, and here in Toronto we get cold winters, so the guy at the guitar shop recommended I get a portable guitar humidifier (the ones you can stick in the soundhole and leave the guitar in your case)

Well before you put the device in your soundhole, you soak the sponge contained in the device in water and squeeze off any excess fluid before inserting it back, but leaving it pretty moist.

I've been doing this since late Jan,' and never really taking notice to what actually goes on....... "once I shut my guitar case"

BUT I DID TODAY!!!!!! :shock: and come to notice my soundhole humidifier leaks. not a lot, but after a months worth holy crap!!! so after shining a flashlight into my soundhole, I NOTICED A PALM SIZED STAIN IN THERE! POSITIVE IT'S FROM THE DRIPPING WATER DROPS!

I'm freaking out! im freaking out! ...... did I damage permanently my new high end takamine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TxmW-rIGFA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAvejpRYsQM
my idol

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Other than the stain, I doubt it.

But it is easily possible to overdo humidification. I heard a sad tale at the guitar store of a local fellow who bought an expensive new Taylor, read all the dire warnings on the Web about the consequences of low humidity, and thought he should keep the in-case humidifier in his guitar year round. He brought it in with the top bulged, the joints between the ribs, top and back starting to split, and finish cracking on the top. All from overhumidification swelling the wood. Guitars are usually built at something around 40-50% relative humidity, and that's about ideal to keep them at.

Guitar humidifiers are a recent invention. I think the need for them has been way overhyped.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Guitar humidifiers are a recent invention. I think the need for them has been way overhyped.

I agree with Ric for the most part, but here in Colorado (where it is really dry), we need humidifiers. Otherwise there is a potential that the guitar will get so dry over time that it cracks.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

if you leave your guitars out, and your furnace is running in the winter, it's good to keep an eye on the humidity.
i think between 35-45 percent is probably ok. if it gets really dry then i would keep a wick type in my case.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@tyler-n)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I may have exaggerated a wee bit.

The stain is not all that bad, nor huge maybe because its drying up, and the wood doesn't look like any damage occurred. I guess I freaked.

But still? dropping water onto the bare inner wood of any part of your guitar is a no no right?

In a weird odd sense, im kinda getting the feeling I did my baby a favor, by watering her (in a sense) .. just a like a plant.

Since the wood is organic after all. but never again. will I use this product and yes time to invest in a proper humidification device.

thank you guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TxmW-rIGFA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAvejpRYsQM
my idol

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

here in Minnesota when there temps outside linger below freezing all the time and often go minus teens
it is very outside and in. I keep my instruments in cases when not in use. I have too many to play so around
eight or nine are cased. my acoustics I keep in a room with a room-humidifier, never have had problems.
my good friend lives in the country side. he has a large fireplace and also heats with wood. he keeps his Martin Backpacker guitar in the the fireplace room. never humidifies . there is a crack from the bridge to the heel on the top wood. he said it appeared in December and grew in January. then stopped.

I had used the inside guitar thingys but grew nervous about a wet sponge too near my guitar's unfinished wood inside.
the room humidifier works great. I put up with the white stuff.

one of my cheapo acoustics was leaked on just like yours. the stain goes away. mildew never formed. watch for that.
the finish was not disturbed either. a whitish bloom can occur in nitrocellulous finishes. that never happened.
best wishes for your guitar.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

In a weird odd sense, im kinda getting the feeling I did my baby a favor, by watering her (in a sense) .. just a like a plant. Since the wood is organic after all.
Fairly sure the time for watering a tree ends when you chop it up and make into a guitar ;)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

In a weird odd sense, im kinda getting the feeling I did my baby a favor, by watering her (in a sense) .. just a like a plant. Since the wood is organic after all.
Fairly sure the time for watering a tree ends when you chop it up and make into a guitar ;)

Amen !

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Well before you put the device in your soundhole, you soak the sponge contained in the device in water and squeeze off any excess fluid before inserting it back, but leaving it pretty moist.

I think I have the same kind, but, after squeezing the excess water out I do it again on a towel and keep sqeezing (and drying). It should just be damp, not wet.

I think if you just leave the guitar in the hardshell case that should be 90 - 95%. The guy I play with says he just keeps them in a case but when I bought that Taylor for $1400 I was worried and bought humidifiers. (I also have a Paul McCartney 1964 Texan remake that I don't play (much), it's more for investment - it has it's own guage and it's always around 40 to 50% with a humidifier).

What are the signs of over humidifcation? Now I'm worried.....

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote