Clear all

jamming

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@deanobeano)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

At the local live music venue near me they have a jamming night and i was wondering what i should expect. Should i take my guitar? would i take my amp? am i expected to play or can i just sit and watch? is it ok to turn up on your own? (i dont really have any one who i can take who also plays) do alot of beginers turn up to theses things? (been playing a year). If anyone has any experience with these jamming nights i would appreciate your advice. thanx

(@oktay)
Reputable Member

I attend a blues jam as a member of the "audience" sometimes. What I've seen happen is, people show up with their guitars (and amps/mics if they are playing the harp or if they prefer their own) and put their name on a board. Then the organizer picks a few of them to put together an ad-hoc band. Of course, he knows most of the regulars and the bands do not end up as a wild mix. They do try to accomadate people who haven't been there before too.

Other than that, it's a fairly laid back environment and people are there to have fun and enjoy the music. At this particular jam most players are pretty good musicians and players though. It might be because the average age is a little higher, being a blues jam I guess.

It should be a great experience though. Have fun.

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I am a jammer.

definately go. bring your guitr and amp and anything else you might need; pedals etc.
dont bring sheet music. you'll get kicked out.

jammming is listening alot of times. knowing when to play and not is crucial. dont be afraid to step out and play our lick when you see an opening. eye contact with the other players helps for cues.
DONT SHRED ALL NIGHT.
at first, keep your leads short , simple and sweet. you'll have plenty of opportunities to step out of your comfort range after awhile.

I found that really good jams take off after about ten or tweleve minutes.
jams start with someone's idea then others add to it. if you hear something in the jam dont be afriad to take it in that direction.

our jams are not genre limited. we jam on the blues but try to avoid songs and a strict 12 bar for example. we'll stick on the root chord and let the jam loose. it often goes to places un heard of...
one jam started in a blues feel then after ten minutes sounded like some kind of celtic thrash then mad clown circus music and then miiraculosly ended in a blues fashion. we were alll wide eyed and grinning.

one poor guy showed up and started a jam by doing a Hendrix song....we let it go on for a while but it got yanked from him by our exploration of the theme. he got pissed.
we explained it is ok to do covers, but not to take it personal if the jam takes the start in a new direction.
this guy wasnt a jammer.

so I encourage you to go. our jams are informal. at formal jams the above poster had it right.

go with an open mind. a desire to contribute and to learn. if you want to crank it do so, but then turn down after your statement.

it is usual for jams to get louder and loudewr as the night goes on tho.

Id be interested in knowing how it went for you. keep us posted.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote