Jamming with a drummer and 3 guitarist?

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi!

I started to search for other people to play with. I put something on craiglist.com and some people wrote me.

1 drummer, 7-8 months of experience and 2 other guitarist (I'm myself a guitarist)

One of the guitarist can sing, and play acoustic, the other plays electric and I play electric too.

3 guitars... is it too much for a first jam? I mean... Are we going to be able, as beginner, intermediate, player, to jam with 3 guitar, playing one song that we may have learn for a single guitar only?

We don't have any bassist yet...

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

With three guitarists, you should get a nice full sound! Yes, there'll be times when you're all playing the same chords, and times when it'll be slightly different, but the main thing is, the getting together and playing.

I used to go to a pub jam every week. A lot of songs, there'd be anything between 4 and 8 acoustic guitars all bashing away. So I'd look to do something different - if say, everyone was playing G Em C and D chords in first position, I'd try and mix things up a bit - play them as powerchords, or barre chords, or even triplets high up the neck - something like x x 12 12 12 x for G, x x x 12 12 12 for Em, x x 14 12 13 x for C and x x x 14 15 14 for D.

There are lots of ways you can learn to improvise - and that's what it should be, a fun part of the learning process. You could try fingerpicking, or arpeggiating - nothing fancy, just to flesh out the sound a bit. You'll probably all talk about this afterwards and say "what shall we do next time?"

Hope it goes well for you!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Yep, sometimes we have three guitars playing in my band.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Heck, the chances that all four of you being able to be at the same place and same time very week are slim. Go for it.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

If a Symphony orchestra can squeeze in 100 or more instruments, including as many as 30 violins, I reckon you could find something for only three guitars to play together without too much of a problem. :wink:

As Vic suggests, spread it around a bit, and vary what you play. The most important part of any get together is that you all learn to get on together and nobody gets too selfish or bloody minded about who plays what and when. The number of instruments, and even what they all are, is less important than the attitude of the players. Have fun. :)

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

I listen to plenty of bands that have 3 or more guitarists, most notably Radiohead, and have been involved in jams with up to 5 guitarists plus bass and drums.

Along those lines, I've seen a number of live collaborations with many guitarists on stage, or my favorite, a super jam at the Jammy Awards a few years ago that had 3 bassists on stage (Les Claypool on electric upright, Mike Gordon on electric 6 string bass and Phil Lesh on electric 5 string bass). They all played different but similar bass lines in the meat of the song and each soloed during the jam.

So yes, you can definitely jam with 3 guitars and make it sound good.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Lynyrd Skynrd
Pearl Jam
Drive-By Truckers
Bad Religion
Iron Maiden

Yea, I think you can make 3 guitarists work. :)

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I know it's not impossible, but you talk about pros.

We are beginner / intermediate player, so, 3 guitarist may sound worst than just 1 in this case :wink:

But, we'll try and we'll see. :)

I thought it was my own

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

We are beginner / intermediate player, so, 3 guitarist may sound worst than just 1 in this case

OK, have it your own way.... :)

You'll all sound like absolute crap, and then fight like cats in a sack over who gets to be the guitar god...
Things will look up temporarily when you all turn on the dummer because he plays so bloody loud that none of you can hear your own awesomely subtle guitar work anyway... :roll:

Nah. Relax. You'll be just fine.

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

We are beginner / intermediate player, so, 3 guitarist may sound worst than just 1 in this case

OK, have it your own way.... :)

You'll all sound like absolute crap, and then fight like cats in a sack over who gets to be the guitar god...
Things will look up temporarily when you all turn on the dummer because he plays so bloody loud that none of you can hear your own awesomely subtle guitar work anyway... :roll:

Nah. Relax. You'll be just fine.

Chris

:lol: Ok thanks

I'll post something when I'll be back from my first jam :)

I thought it was my own

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

One of you needs to play the bass. It will make your band sound like a 'band'.

Good Luck !

ReplyQuote